Experiential learning helps Iowa State University students gain practical work experience to develop the skills they are learning in the classroom. To expand those opportunities, Iowa State's College of Business created CyBIZ Lab to connect students and faculty with industry and take hands-on learning a step further by offering new opportunities outside the classroom.
Iowa businesses benefit by bringing their problems to CyBIZ Lab to connect with students who will bring fresh perspectives and solutions.
CyBIZ Lab opportunities:
- Live Case Studies: Students solve real problems for businesses as part of a class project.
- Business Consulting: Student teams work directly with businesses to conduct research or perform projects based on the company's needs.
- Entrepreneurship: Students support existing entrepreneurial ventures or potentially help launch new ideas.
CyBIZ Lab outcomes:
- Students gain training and experience that will make them more competitive and marketable to employers.
- Companies receive potential solutions to existing problems from outside perspectives.
- Projects may create additional research opportunities for faculty and enhance ties to the business community.
Did you know? Students are looking for more hands-on experience. More than 770 internships were reported by College of Business students in 2012-2013 (Fall 2012, Spring 2013 and Summer 2013). That's an increase of more than 10% from the year prior!