The College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) is the country's first public veterinary school, Iowa State University's only professional school and one of only 28 U.S. veterinary colleges. The primary mission of CVM is to enhance the health and well-being of animals and humans through its teaching, research, extension and outreach programs.
- The college's Veterinary Medical Center is home to the state's only board-certified canine rehabilitation/sports medicine veterinarian.
- CVM researchers are leaders in developing diagnostic tools for livestock diseases, vaccines for kennel cough in dogs and circovirus in pigs; identifying emerging diseases like the first case of H1N1 influenza in cats; improving delivery methods for medications; solving some of humankind's most vexing diseases including Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and AIDS; and developing interventions to improve food safety and security.
- The college is home to the country's only Swine Medicine Education Center (SMEC). Since its inception in 2010, the SMEC has received a major USDA Higher Education Challenge Grant to develop and deliver curriculum on the most progressive, evidenced-based practices in swine health assurance.
- The Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory serves Iowa's $12.5 billion animal agriculture industry by providing access to timely, high quality diagnostic testing on 50,000 cases per year from livestock producers and consumers. This testing stops the entry and spread of disease between farms and assures access to domestic and foreign markets. The rich case flow is used to keep the curriculum current and focus research on issues of immediate importance to Iowa producers and consumers.
- Veterinary medicine parallels human medical advancements helping many animals that would not survive without the advanced expertise, equipment, and facilities offered at Iowa State.
Did you know? The three-year average placement rate of CVM students is 95%, with graduates entering all areas of the profession. Of Iowa's practicing veterinarians, 81% are graduates of Iowa State.