Hello friends of Iowa State University,
This week we are highlighting economic development programs provided by Iowa State University. Through these programs, over 8,000 people across all 99 counties in Iowa were employed in new jobs or retained their jobs in fiscal year 2012. Iowa State is dedicated to developing an Iowa workforce ready for the challenges of the 21st century and to providing practical training for new entrepreneurs.
A Vital Economic Engine for Iowa:
- Iowa State educates Iowa's workforce through STEM initiatives, internships, company projects in classes, entrepreneurship classes, online learning, and continuing education workshops.
- Companies who worked with Extension and Outreach's Center for Industrial Research and Service (CIRAS) last year reported making $46 million in new investments and creating or retaining more than 5,600 jobs.
- More than 40,000 local government and community leaders, business owners, and volunteers build skills by attending trainings offered by Extension and Outreach community and economic development specialists.
- In the most recent federal fiscal reporting period (FY2011) the Small Business Development Center, served 2,695 clients with $42 million in new capital raised.
- The Institute for Physical Research and Technology (IPRT) had an average annual impact of $9.9 million over the past five years for their clients who sought assistance.
- The Iowa State University Research Park serves 59 companies employing 1,150 people and 17 affiliates employing 148 people.
- Technologies originating at Iowa State and licensed to Iowa companies provided over $100 million in sales in 2011.
Iowa State University is an industry-friendly institution. Iowa companies make connections with Iowa State through economic development programs that are critical to their business success.
Did you know? In the past six years, 18 new companies were spun off from Iowa State research technologies--among them Harris Vaccines and Priority 5--made possible by the Regents Innovation Fund and other innovation funding.