At its October 2012 meeting, the National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) recommended that the National Organic Program (NOP) take several actions.
In advance of the April 2013 NOSB meeting, the NOP has published a response to these recommendations.
|October 2012 NOSB Recommendations|
The NOSB recommended that the NOP:
- Allow synthetic biodegradable biobased mulch film in organic crop production with restrictions.
- Prohibit rotenone, a natural substance, in organic crop production.
- Take multiple actions related to the use and review of inert ingredients.
- Allow L-Methionine in organic handling with restrictions.
- Encourage USDA research agencies to prioritize funding for emerging organic research needs as recommended by NOSB on an annual basis.
- Amend the NOSB Policy and Procedures Manual regarding the policy on public comments at NOSB meetings.
View NOP Response
|About the NOSB|
The 15-member National Organic Standards Board is made up of organic farmers and growers, handlers and processors, retailers, environmentalists and conservationists, consumer and public interest advocates, a scientist, and a USDA-accredited certifying agent. The NOSB advises the Secretary of Agriculture on allowed and prohibited substances in organic production and handling and other issues related to the implementation of the Organic Foods Production Act.
|About the National Organic Program (NOP)|
The NOP facilitates trade and ensures integrity of organic agricultural products by consistently implementing organic standards and enforcing compliance with the regulations throughout the world. Learn more.
|About the NOP Organic Insider|
The NOP Organic Insider informs the organic community on a wide range of NOP functions, including organic standards, accreditation and international activities, compliance and enforcement, the National Organic Standards Board, training events, and the Cost Share program.
You are receiving this email because you elected to receive selected updates from the USDA National Organic Program. You may manage your profile to receive additional updates on other NOP functions or unsubscribe at any time by using the links below.