Year-End Reports are due now!
Congregation ID and Password are found on the paper form sent by the ELCA or by contacting Kathy Wimer at the Synod office.
Honduras Trip Opportunity
The Southwestern Texas Synod of the ELCA is working with the Honduran Solidarity Network to put together aJune 9-17, 2017delegation of folks from the ELCA to look at the root causes of migration in Honduras and also how communities and individuals are affected when people are deported from the US back to Honduras. This trip is prompted by the churchwide AMMPARO (Accompanying Migrant Minors with Protection, Advocacy, Representation and Opportunities)Initiative implemented at the 2016 Churchwide Assembly. AMMPARO seeks to provide a whole church response that will:
- Uphold and guarantee basic human rights and safety of migrant children and their families;
- Address the root causes of migration in countries from Central America's Northern Triangle and Mexico and the treatment of migrants in transit;
- Work toward just and humane policies affecting migrants in and outside the U.S.; and
- Engage as a church body with all of its companions, affiliates and partners to respond to the migration situation as a whole context and to advocate for migrant children and their families. The guiding principles of accompaniment, awareness building and advocacy will orient our work, which will include action around protection, advocacy, representation and opportunities.
The cost of the trip is $1000, which does not include airfare to and from Tegucigalpa, the capital of Honduras. If you are interested in this opportunity to learn and travel alongside fellow ELCA members and our Honduran brothers and sisters, contact Pastor Brian Peterson at Ascension Lutheran Church, ELCA, of Austin, Texas at [email protected]. For more information on AMMPARO, check out the ELCA resource link at http://elca.org/en/Resources/AMMPARO For more information on our synod's Companion Synod relationship with the Iglesia Cristiana Luterana en Honduras, contact Brenda Wagner at [email protected].
Beyond the Steeple: Open Space at Church of the Apostles, Seattle, Wash.
School of Lay Ministry
Plans are now set for the March School of Lay Ministry course at Luther Seminary.
The next session is scheduled for Mon., Mar. 6-Tues., Mar. 7, 2017.
These sessions are open to anyone interested in Life-Long Learning.
Tuition is $70.
* Learning to Pray with Martin Luther: Martin Luther changed both the theology and practice of prayer in the sixteenth century. This course will examine Luther's teaching on prayer, examining a broad range of writings and thinking about their implications for today. Presenters are Steve Bonesho and Mary Jane Haemig.
* Developing Intercultural Competence: The Impact of Lay Leaders in the Church: Building "Beloved Community" among persons who are culturally and racially different continues to be challenging in church. This set of class sessions will examine how developing intercultural competence utilizing a prescriptive set of tools can yield effective outcomes that support lay ministries in an ever-changing church community; Presenter- Richard Webb.
Bishop's Visitation to Confirmation Students and their parents
Bishop Aitken invites you to request him for a Bishop's Visitation to your Confirmation Class. What works best for his schedule is to do these Visitations to clusters of congregations. He encourages parents to come that night as well so he can meet them and include them in the teaching time. He will teach the gospel, talk about Christian Vocation, the role of the Christian in our world, our call in Christ and end with Communion and Commissioning for service with Anointing oil from Palestine.
Events Around the Synod
If you would like to have your event included, please send a brief press release, including the Who, What, Where, When & Why of your event, in an email to [email protected].
No PDF flyers please
. Only the text information will be included.
2017 Northeastern Minnesota Men's Retreat - Lord of Life, Baxter
Join us February 17 & 18 at Lord of Life, Baxter MN. Friday, February 17 from 4:30 pm to 9 pm and Saturday, February 18 from 8 am to 4 pm. Featuring Bp. Thomas Aitken and Richard Bruxvoort Colligan. Register with the attached form or by email to Bob Nelson at [email protected]. $40 for repeat attendees and $30 for first time attendees (includes registration and meals). $65 for attendees who need lodging (includes double occupancy, registration and meals). Please register by February 14.
Care of Creation Summit - St. Andrew's, Grand Rapids MN
A Watershed Moment: Reformation for the Next 500 Years
March 25, 2017 -- 9:30 am-2:30 pm -- St. Andrews Lutheran Church, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Hosted by Leadership Team of the Northeastern Synod/ELCA EcoFaith Network
As a society, we are at a critical turning point-a watershed moment-to protect the water on which all aspects of our lives depend. As Christians, we have a stewardship responsibility to protect and improve our waters and insure their use for future generations. How can we as Christian stewards protect the future quality of our waters? As Christians, we can learn from our watershed-the water, the ground, the wildlife, the people-that which is in need of restoration and how our story is interwoven with God's to work toward a right relationship between all living things and the natural resources they depend on.
Come and learn more about the state of our waters and how Lutheran congregations can be effective watershed disciples.
Cost: $10 free will offering; collected at the door.
Questions, call Paula West at 218-838-5010.
To Register: Send an email to: [email protected] Please include name, phone, email, and home congregation.
Business Administrator - Calvary Lutheran, Alexandria MN
Calvary Lutheran Church, a growing and vibrant community of faith in Alexandria, MN, is seeking a joy-filled and passionate individual to join our ministry team. This new team member will help us serve God's people by providing financial, human resource and operational support and oversight to our mission and ministry in partnership with Calvary's Lead Pastor, Hans Dahl. A bachelor's degree in business or related field, or equivalent experience is required. We seek someone with a minimum of 3-5 years' experience in management, leadership and/or finance. The full job description can be viewed at http://www.calvaryalex.org/filerequest/1591
Congregation: Calvary Lutheran Church - 605 Douglas St, Alexandria, MN 56308
To apply please provide a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Worship Accompanist - Grace Lutheran, McGregor
Grace Lutheran Church of Big Sandy, near McGregor, MN is looking for a worship accompanist for our 9:00 am service and other worship services throughout the church year. For more information, please contact Pastor Erika Foss at 218-426-3343 or [email protected]
The purpose of our
synod is to nurture a
conducive to healthy,
throughout the world!
Pastor Amy Odgren - 125
Director for Evangelical Mission
Assistant to the Bishop
Assistant to the Bishop
NE MN Synod, ELCA
1105 E. Superior St.,
Duluth, MN 55802
|Online Reflections Editor|