Each Wednesday morning the synod staff meets for devotions and prays for the congregations and people of our synod. You are invited to join us.
- French River Lutheran, Duluth
- Gloria Dei Lutheran, Duluth
- Pastor George Gilbertson, retired
- Pastor Cynthia Gray, OLFC
- Pastor Joan Gunderman, retired
- Pastor Michael Gustafson
Reformation 500 Kick-off -
Don't wait to sign up, or you will miss out!
Registration Deadline is January 12, 2017
Join us for one or both of two identical events:
Saturday January 21 from 1:00-4:00 pm
at Our Savior's in Hibbing
Sunday January 22 from 2:00-5:00 pm
at First Lutheran in Aitkin
Bishop David Zellmer from the South Dakota Synod will speak about "How the Heck Did We Get to the Reformation?" then we'll break out into workshop sessions (pick 2).
The event is free, all are welcome, and it promises to be a great time!.
Pre-registration is required to help prepare the number of materials and refreshments needed. Please sign up at: https://2017nemnconvo.eventbrite.com or call the Synod office to register. 218.724.4424 x127, or click the link below!
Death of Rev. John D. Hogensen-Rutford
Funeral services will be held Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 11:00 am at Mount Olivet Lutheran Church, 5025 Knox Ave S, Mpls, 55419, Visitation begins at 10:00 am. Clergy friends who are attending the memorial service for John Hogenson should please come ready to vest. The color of the day is white.
The Lutheran Youth Organization (LYO) Board is a leadership team that holds a significant amount of responsibility. The LYO Board is responsible for planning and implementing the Middle School Gathering and Cardia Deo events in our synod. Their commitment includes a week-long training camp, 2 meetings outside of events, a January planning retreat, and a Thursday - Sunday commitment on event weekends. These positions are not for everyone! The LYO Board is ideal for youth and adults who are already leaders in their congregations, and are ready for that next step of leading on a larger and deeper level with more responsibility and opportunities to share their faith.
If you know youth in your congregation who are ready for this leadership step in their faith journey, encourage them to read through the materials on the website and apply! Applications are due February 15, 2017.
March 3-5, 2017
Big Sandy Camp, McGregor
Early registrations ends February 1st!
It's not too early to start inviting youth in grades 9-12 to Cardia Deo! This weekend retreat is led by the NE MN Synod LYO Board, and includes small group Bible studies, service learning, mystery event, worship, camp life and much more. Find out more at www.nemnsynod.org/CD.
1) Lutheran Leadership Day at the Capitol; Thursday February 2, 2017, 12:30-5PM (Reception with legislators 4-5PM) Come for part of the afternoon or the whole afternoon; Christ Lutheran on Capitol Hill & Minnesota State Capitol; Bishops, Pastors, and other church leaders are invited to a day of learning and advocacy with breakouts on 1) Creation Care & Clean Energy; 2) Sex Trafficking and Safe Harbor; 3) Race, Refugees, and Immigration; and 4) Disability Policy AND plenaries focused on Affordable Housing in Minnesota, through various lenses including racial equity and workforce concerns (RSVP to [email protected]). Sponsored by Lutheran Advocacy-MN and Lutheran Social Service of MN.
2) Regional ELCA Hunger Retreat (for MN, ND, & SD) Focused on Care of Creation, especially climate change and its impact on global poverty and hunger; Friday, February 3 - Saturday, Feb. 4; Event begins with lunch at noon on Friday and concludes after lunch on Saturday; Luther Crest Bible Camp, 8231 County Rd 11 NE, Alexandria, MN 56308; Cost = $50. (NOTE: You don't need to be a hunger leader to attend!). Scholarship questions? Contact Pastor Erika Lehmann: [email protected]; Registration questions? Contact Kari Bostrom: [email protected]; General questions? Contact Ed Payne: [email protected].
Bible and Brew Study Retreats
Believing and Having Faith
Bishop Aitken is open to leading a Bible and Faith Study for men's, women's or mixed men and women's Retreats around the theme Belief and Faith. He uses the Gospels as well as other Biblical texts around the meanings of trust, fidelity, faith and believing. You could arrange with one of our Camps (where he has done these already) or at a location of your choosing. He presents a Biblical understanding of what faith and belief really are, and in particular, as a Lutheran Christian.
You may contact the synod office to make arrangements with him.
+Bishop Thomas M. Aitken
Northeastern Minnesota Synod, ELCA
February 11, 2017
Recharge is a multi-denominational, one day conference to inspire and equip church and staff and their volunteers serving in children, youth and family ministry. This conference has volunteers as its primary audience, and shares practical tips and tools for ministry that you can take home and begin using immediately. Start inviting leaders today!
The purpose of our
synod is to nurture a
conducive to healthy,
throughout the world!
Pastor Amy Odgren - 125
Director for Evangelical Mission
Assistant to the Bishop
Assistant to the Bishop
NE MN Synod, ELCA
1105 E. Superior St.,
Duluth, MN 55802
|Online Reflections Editor|
Online Reflections is a semi-weekly e-newsletter from the Northeastern Minnesota Synod.
Online Reflections Part 1 is published on Monday of each week and contains articles from Bishop Thomas Aitken, Synod Staff, and information from the ELCA.
Online Reflections Part 2 is published on Thursday of each week and contains late breaking news, information about events occurring in the congregations of the NE MN Synod, and job postings.