Happy November! Since my last post I have finally completed the Lifetime Fitness Race to the Toyota Cup. In both of the last two races of the series, Dallas and Oceanside, I finished on the podium in 3rd which put me in 3rd position for the series overall.
My running has been very good and consistent as I wind down the season, including a 10k PR at Oceanside! I am really happy with that. After the Oceanside race and a pretty fun post race party I decided to fly back to my old training grounds of Clermont, FL to finish up my last training block. Tucson is fantastic for training, but I was really missing my old training partners back east. I wanted to finish up the season with an enjoyable and stress free block so I decided I needed to be in Clermont.
My last race of the year, Rev3 Florida, is only two hours south in Sarasota so it actually is working out perfectly! The hard training is behind me and now I am just focusing on the minor details and loading up on sleep (and beet juice). My plan is to race on Sunday, enjoy Naples for a few days with friends, and then head home for a few weeks before I jump into 2014.
Training and Racing Photos
Current Series Standings
3rd place - FINAL
2013 Race Results
|3rd||October 20||Lifetime Fitness Championship Oceanside|
|3rd||October 6||Lifetime Fitness Dallas|
|3rd||September 22||Lifetime Fitness Tempe|
|5th||September 1||5150 Championship|
|3rd||August 25||Rev3 Maine|
|1st||August 11||Rev3 Wisconsin|
|3rd||July 14||Boulder Peak Triathlon|
|2nd||July 13||Lifetime Fitness Minneapolis|
|2nd||June 29||5150 St. Louis|
|3rd||June 23||Rev3 Williamsburg|
|5th||May 27||Lifetime Fitness Captex Triathlon|
|1st||May 19||5150 Kansas City, Kansas City, MO|
|1st||May 5||Rev3 Knoxville, TN|
|12th||April 28||5150 St. Anthony's, St. Petersburg, FL|
|3rd||April 7||Lifetime Fitness Nautica South Beach Triathlon, Miami, FL|
|5th||March 2||Escape from Alcatraz, San Francisco, CA|
Elevation Outdoors Magazine Video
|In the latest episode of EOTV, we hit the road on bikes to cycle Aspen, Colorado with pro triathlete Lauren Goss to test the new POC road cycling kit and their new helmet.
Raspberry Mint Rice Cakes
Taken from Feed Zone PORTABLES by Biju Thomas and Allen Lim
I have been using these rice cakes on long rides and as snacks throughout the day!
- 3 cups of uncooked sticky rice (Calrose is the cheapest brand, but hard to find!)
- 4.5 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of cane sugar or sweetener of your choice
- juice of 1 lemon or other citrus
- 1 pint of fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint leaves minced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of honey (recommended)
- 1 teaspoon of minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened shredded coconut (recommended)
- Combine rice, water, and a dash of salt in a rice cooker and let cook.
- Transfer cooked rice to a large bowl and add sugar and lemon juice.
- Stir thoroughly and salt to taste.
- Let rice cool then spread half onto a 9" x 13" baking pan. Press flat with a rice paddle.
- Sprinkle mint leaves and berries evenly over the rice.
- Gently press the remaining rice over the berries and mint.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, cut into squares and wrap.
Half Marathon Pace Confirmation
This workout should be done about 7-9 days out of a half distance triathlon. It is important that your body and mind both know what it feels like to be running on pace. I tend to get off the bike and run a bit too hard and in the handful of halves I have done I have paid the price! Going into Sunday, I have my pace dialed in and I will also wear my Garmin 910XT to confirm that I am not running too fast out of T2.
This workout should be done on the track.
|1 mile warm up, drills, stretching|
3 mile at +5 seconds of goal half marathon pace.
2 mile at goal half marathon pace
1 mile at -5 seconds of goal half marathon pace
1 mile cool down
I recommend switching the direction you are running on the track for the 2mi. The goal would be to do these workouts and hit the pace dead on without looking at the watch for splits. The body should feel comfortable at this pace and ready to go for race day!
Key Phrases to repeat when you begin to fatigue while racing:
In the SWIM
- Am I following bubbles?
- Increase turnover
- Increase kick around buoys
On the BIKE
- Am I engaging my hamstrings?
- Increase cadence to limit quad fatigue
- Take a deep breath and refocus on the moment
On the RUN
- Increase run cadence, short quick steps
- Lean forward from the hips like you are falling forward
- Maintain a still head position and focus on part of the road up ahead
Biotta Savings Codes. Just Beet It!
Use my discount code and save on a variety of juices from www.biottajuices.com:
November & December
- Use Code Train11-1213 for a TOTAL of 25% off