Volunteers Make the Difference
"On the morning of April 3, 1986 I was a victim of a brutal sexual assault. During the hour-long attack, there was never a time that I was not in terror and fear for my life. While I was waiting to be examined at the hospital, a Rape Crisis Volunteer from The Women's Center of Tarrant County came in to talk with me. The first thing she said to me was "I'm here for you. We're all here for you. This was not your fault and we will get you through this." Her words immediately provided the comfort I needed, and I felt less ashamed of what had happened to me. From that point forward, I knew that I was not alone and that someone genuinely cared about me. The volunteer stayed with me, until I left the hospital and she gave me information about the Rape Crisis Program. Because of her words and the Rape Crisis program referral, I received exceptional counseling, loving support, and educational guidance throughout my complete recovery. Even today, I will never forget those first words the volunteer said me, "I'm here for you." This is how my recovery started...and how I got my life back." To read Betsy's complete story, click here.
|Provide peer counseling and emotional support to sexual assault survivors and their families at the hospital and on the Rape Crisis and Victim Services Hotline. Must have own transportation.
- Skills: Supportive and compassionate; Good listener; Ability to relate well with people of varied ages and backgrounds; Can handle crisis situations
- When: Six-hour shifts available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day
- Where: Volunteer is on-call and will meet victims at local area hospitals
The Women's Center requires Victim Advocate volunteers to take a minimum of three shifts per month and commit to volunteering for a minimum of one year.
- Click here to complete a volunteer application. Applicants must be over 18 and must provide two non-family member references.
- Schedule an individual interview following orientation.
- Authorize a criminal background check on the 1st day of training.
- Complete the required classroom and on the job training sessions.