County Logo
Lake County Passage, Real Time Traffic
Alert Lake County is your emergency preparedness resource. Find out how you and your family can be prepared for emergencies.
 Lake County PASSAGE:
Live Local Traffic Info,
Maps of Alerts, Incidents, and Conditions.

News Release
May 2, 2013

Flood Response Continues - Free Clean-up Kits Available

Clean-up Kits
Residents impacted by flooding can pick up free clean-up kits at their township or municipality, but should call in advance.  The kits consist of a bucket, mop, bleach, and other supplies. These are being distributed to impacted areas while supplies last.

Sandbag Disposal
If you live in the unincorporated areas along the Fox River and Chain O'Lakes: Used sandbags should be moved to the side of the road for collection, which will start on Monday, May 13.

If you live in a municipality, contact your village or municipality for details.

Flood Repairs
If you have flood insurance, contact your insurance company to report your damage. Even if you don't have flood insurance, you should still contact your insurance company to ensure all potential assistance is sought. Take pictures of the damage and make a list of any possessions damaged or destroyed, and keep receipts for costs incurred during the flood, such as receipts for hotels, clean-up, replacement and repair.

Many repairs to flood damaged structures require building permits. Examples of repairs that require permits include: plumbing work, electrical work, structural repairs, and replacing water heaters and HVAC equipment.  Replacing drywall and carpeting in flood damaged structures also requires a review to ensure compliance with FEMA regulations. Contact your local municipality for information, or if you live in the unincorporated area, contact the Lake County Department of Planning, Building and Development at 847-377-2081.

State/Federal Assistance
Federal assistance is not available at this time. However, Lake County and state officials are working together to gather information needed to support a state request for federal assistance. Earlier this week, state officials visited impacted counties to conduct damage assessments in coordination with FEMA and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) to document the severity of damage to primary homes and businesses. The State is also collecting initial damage information from local government officials. Therefore, it's important for impacted residents to report damage to their municipality, or if you live in the unincorporated area, contact the Lake County Department of Planning, Building and Development.  The State will use this information as part of its request to FEMA to demonstrate the critical need for federal assistance. If there is a federal disaster declaration for Lake County, then people affected by flooding might be eligible for:
* Grants from FEMA. NOTE: Assistance does not cover insured loss.
* Low-interest loans from the SBA.

State assistance available to individuals at this point includes a low-Interest loan program administered by the Illinois State Treasurer's Office.  Please call the Illinois State Treasurer's Disaster Recovery Hotline at 866-523-0641 or by visiting

Well Water Testing
The Health Department is offering free water testing to residents whose wells are affected by flood waters. Officials remind residents that they need to wait for the water to recede before testing their water.  You can pick up sterile bottles to be filled and returned for analysis, and obtain information about disinfecting wells at the Lake County Central Permit Facility, 500 W. Winchester Road, Libertyville, or at township and village offices in the county.  (Please call your village or township in advance). For more information, call Environmental Health Services of the Lake County Health Department at
(847) 377-8020. Office hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 pm.

If you have questions about septic systems, water wells, well water sampling, or health and safety questions, please contact the Lake County Department of Health at 847-377-8020, or by visiting

Residents can also visit to connect with local health and human services.

More information: or