|Lake County Announces Record 2013 Highway Construction Program |
Construction will begin on 32 highway improvements in Lake County this year, totaling an investment of $126 million. This is the Lake County Division of Transportation's (DOT) largest annual highway construction program ever, and is almost three times the size of the biggest previous construction program undertaken by the County.
The Lake County Board made a commitment to invest 100% of the revenue from the 1/4% Sales Tax for Transportation and Public Safety Funds (approved in 2008 by the State of Illinois) toward improving transportation. These projects are now being realized as a result of those funds.
Lake County Board Chairman Aaron Lawlor said, "The County Board knows that transportation is one of the most important issues for residents and that is why we have made it a strategic goal, and approved $557 million toward improving Lake County's transportation system over the next six years. Addressing traffic congestion in Lake County is not only critical to our quality of life, but it is also necessary for economic growth."
Highlights of the 2013 construction program funded with the ¼ sales tax include:
- $43 million to lower the intersection of IL Route 83 and Rollins Road below the CN Railroad tracks in the commercial district of Round Lake Beach (Construction is planned to begin this summer and be completed in two years).
- $11.8 million reconstruction and widening of the intersection of IL Route 176 at Fairfield Road near Wauconda (Construction to begin this spring and be completed by the end of the year).
- $12.5 million project to widen Peterson Road from two to five lanes from US Route 45 in Libertyville to west of IL Route 83 in Grayslake. (Construction to begin this summer and be completed by the end of 2014).
- $18 million to widen Delany Road from two to five lanes between Sunset Avenue in Waukegan and Wadsworth Road in Wadsworth. (Continue construction; Project completed in 2014).
- $31 million Illinois Department of Transportation project to widen Illinois Route 21 (Continue construction; Project completed late this year).
Other road improvements of note that will begin construction this year include:
- $7.3 million widening of Quentin Road at US Route 12 in Kildeer and Deer Park (Construction to begin this spring and be completed by the end of the year).
- $1.5 million for construction of a new roundabout intersection at Cedar Lake Road and Monaville Road in Lake Villa (Construction to begin this spring and be completed by the end of the year).
- $7.5 million to widen and reconstruct the intersection of Illinois Route 131 (Green Bay Road) at Wadsworth Road (Construction to begin this spring and be completed by the end of the year).
Diana O'Kelly, Chairman of the Lake County Public Works and Transportation Committee said, "This year, Lake County DOT will celebrate 100 years of working to improve our transportation system, and on this anniversary year, we will have our biggest construction program yet. This is very exciting and a testament of the County Board's commitment to transportation."
A complete listing of planned highway improvements for 2013 can be found at the Lake County Division of Transportation website.
2013 Construction Program VIDEO.
Find information about traffic in Lake County and get road construction related travel information from Lake County PASSAGE .