If this is your first Coaches newsletter, welcome! If you know a Pacific Masters coach that might not be receiving our email, feel free to forward this to them.
Our goal, once again, is to continue providing local opportunities for coach education, outreach and connection. If you have questions or concerns about Pacific Masters policy, please feel free to contact us (Stu - firstname.lastname@example.org or Mary - email@example.com) and we can help answer questions or direct you to someone who can.
----------- Upcoming events and clinics -----------
USMS Coaches Peer-to-Peer Teleconference
Sunday, March 15, 5:30pm
The LMSC Development Committee has asked that this message be sent to you so that you can join your coach peers in a lively conversation about how you coach your swimmers and help us discover some 'best practices' (i.e. ways to do things, not actual swim workouts).
Date and Time: Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 5:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time
US Toll Number: (518) 530-1840 (Please use this if you have free Long Distance)
US Toll-Free Number: (855) 212-0212
Meeting ID: 128-531-819#
At the scheduled date and time of the meeting, dial into the conference line. When prompted, enter the meeting ID. If you wish to participate using your computer with a headset, "Join" from the "Meeting Wall" link above (a software download is required). Then Click the Green button from the app to connect.
Some questions to ponder prior to the call:
- How can your Local Masters Swimming Committee better support your efforts to provide Masters Swim programming?
- What successes have you had getting your swimmers to participate in USMS programs outside of meets?
- What challenges do you have expanding your program? Or conversely, keeping it going?
- Do you accelerate training for either or both of the USMS national meets?
- Do you occasionally conduct clinics that have a specific focus?
- Do you have suggestions to offer? We strongly encourage suggestions as we're looking for best practices to share with all USMS coaches.
Ways you can get your best practice item into the conversation:
Share it at the teleconference with your peers
Post it to the USMS Coaching Forum by going to usms.org -click Forums (top right corner) - scroll to Coaching (in the "General" topics section) - scroll to Peer to Peer Conference Call for Coaches.
Email your question in advance to Tim Waud (firstname.lastname@example.org); he can bring it up on the call.
They are looking forward to having you be part of the conversation!
Care of - Tim Waud
U.S. Masters Swimming
LMSC Development Committee
2015 USMS and Pacific Masters Coaching Clinics
June and November
This year the coaching education focus is being changed from offering local clinics to promoting national and regional events. In 2013 and 2014, over a dozen coaching clinics were held on a bimonthly basis in places from Crescent City to Angels Camp and in ten other locations throughout the LMSC. The original intent two years ago was to provide free clinics from coaches to coaches for the purpose of increasing education and sharing knowledge. As the second year of clinics wound down, fewer and fewer coaches attended and, as a result, the events were held as swimmer clinics instead of coach clinics.
Self-supporting swimmer clinics are still being considered for this year, but will take a back seat. The priority remains coaches education.
The USMS Coaches Committee shares our values and has created the first National Coaches Clinic (NCC) to be held at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee on June 5-7. Specific details are forthcoming but the following is planned:
- Friday offers a Level 1-2 coaches certification course and an evening mixer for everyone to meet and greet.
- Saturday will be all day classroom presentations on all four strokes, teaching, training and technology, and an evening dinner get together. Tentatively, the presentations will be at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
- Sunday has a 2 hour block of classroom time (same location) and then pool drills and teaching for 90 minutes to two hours. Pool is the Tracy Caulkins Competition Pool at the Centennial Sportsplex. The clinic wraps up Sunday at 12:30 PM.
In support of this event, Pacific Masters Coaches Reimbursement Policy provides $200 towards travel and 80% of the registration fee. Recipients must be USMS 'Recognized Coaches
' registered as a member of a Pacific Masters club.
The next important Coaches Clinic will again be held in tandem with the Pacific Masters Annual Meeting and Awards Luncheon in November. The clinic, which last year offered eight presentations by ten speakers and was attended by 24 coaches, will be in much the same format as last but will offer different topics and be promoted much sooner and much more often.
It also will offer registration discounts and financial support to attending coaches.
----------- USMS Coaches Information -----------
The USMS Coaches Committee exists to educate and support the coaches of masters teams. They have conference calls each month to help exchange ideas and work toward goals. One of which is to improve communication with all our coaches across the U.S. By sharing the minutes of the meetings, other coaches can gain some insights into the projects being working on and goals being worked toward. If you are interested, click here for the meeting minutes
Stu and Mary Kahn
Pacific Masters Swimming