Well, it is here. The 2012-13 school year is just days away from becoming another chapter in the rich history of BISD.
Let me begin by telling each of you, thank you. Thank you for the hard work and dedication to the students and to each other. I know it has not been easy with new initiatives, new software, new state standards, and yes, STAAR. I am sure, if given the opportunity, you could add to this list. But the bottom line is, you kept running the race to the very end and did not give up. Thank you.
As always, we began the school year with lofty goals. Goals that one person could not accomplish alone, and we knew it was going to take each of us working together to reach.
Preliminary data from the state reflects the hard work accomplished across BISD this past school year.
- BISD performance on the 2012 STAAR EOCs exceeded state performance by four percentage points or more in reading, writing, Algebra I, biology and world geography.(State numbers have not been released for 2013.)
- In 2012, BISD performance on STAAR reading exceeded state performance in grades 3-8.
- BISD students in grades 3-8 made progress in 11 of the 18 areas tested and maintained the passing rate in another three areas. (2013 EOC results will be released in June.)
- This year, BISD performance on the fourth-grade STAAR math test increased nine percentage points over 2012.
- This year, BISD performance on the eighth-grade STAAR science test increased eight percentage points over 2012.
- BISD graduates have exceeded the state and national average in ACT composite scores for the past 9 years.
- BISD graduates have exceeded the state average in reading and mathematics SAT scores for the past 12 years.
I am excited to say that this is but a short list of the great things that happened in BISD this year.
I hope you will join me in celebrating the gains made this year. There is work still to be done, but I never want us to miss the opportunity to celebrate our successes.
Again, I want to thank each of you for playing an important role in the achievements made across BISD. The great Vincent Lombardi once said, "The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual." Individuals working together as part of the team have brought us to where we are today.
I look forward to our team having many more celebrations in the years ahead.
Darrell G. Brown, Ph.D.