- Water with a slice of lemon, sugar-free tea, coffee or low-fat milk
- Open face sandwiches or a lettuce wraps
- Salad dressing on the side
- Steamed, grilled or broiled dishes
- Half your food to be put into a carryout box, before you are served
- Appetizer instead of a regular entree
- Share a main dish with a friend or spouse
- Instead of the all-you-can-eat buffet, order menu items to control portion size
- On long trips, pack some fresh fruit, cut-up vegetables, string cheese or nuts with cereal as a snack
It takes time to plan ahead to be successful when eating out - you are in charge and can help control how and what you eat. And remember to "Enjoy your Food"!
Marilyn Wadum, RD
Bariatric Nutrition Therapist
Saint Elizabeth Bariatric Program
Recipe of the Month
Turkey Cranberry Roll-Ups
From the Recipe Box of Rich (post-op Gastric Sleeve) and his wife, Karen S.
1 - 8 count package of wheat tortillas
1 - 8 ounce carton whipped cream cheese
1 - 8 ounce package dried cranberries
1 - 8 ounce package sliced turkey breast (or other lean meat if desired)
Spread each tortilla with 2 tablespoons cream cheese. Add 1/4 cup dried cranberries. Top with 2 oz (about 1 slice) turkey. Roll and place seam side down on piece of plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Slice as appetizers, or enjoy as a meal by adding a tossed salad.
Makes 8 roll-ups
Nutritional content per serving:
Serving size: 1 roll-up
Carbohydrate: 45 gm
Protein: 18 gm
Fat: 10 gm
Sodium: 670 mg
Please include nutritional information if available.
Recipes must be original family recipes. If using from another source you must send us copyright permission.