Come Bowl For
Join the Young Lawyer's Section of the NOBA for their annual Pro-Bowl-O Tournament benefitting The Pro Bono Project.
February 24, 2013
from 12:00 to 3:00 pm
Where: Rock 'n Bowl
3000 S. Carrollton Avenue at Earhart
Food, fun and frolicking competition for prizes and lots of laughs.
Complete details and registration online at:
download forms from:
Open the Door to Justice -
Support The Project Now!
Celebrate pro bono and please help us open the door for our clients and volunteers. Support The Project by clicking on the Louisiana Giving logo above.
Partner for Pro Bono
by checking the
"make this a recurring donation" box on The Project's donation page when you click the above link. Make your Annual Donation over 12 months.
Help us plan for the future by contacting
Rachel PIercey at 504.581.4043 about the Pro Bono for Life Planned Giving program.
Are we ready for Super Bowl yet? Yes it's here and January has flown by but it has been a wonderful month for pro bono volunteers. We continue to hear great news about the efforts of several of our volunteers and Board members (past and present) receiving kudos from some of the legal industry's most prestigious organizations. The Board and Staff offer our heartfelt congratulations to:
- Current Board member and Executive Director of SLLS, Mark Moreau, received the American Bar Assocation, Section of Taxation, 2013 Janet Spragens Pro Bono Award at the Mid-Year Section Meeting held in Orlando from January 24-26, 2013. This is the first time that a tax clinic attorney has received this award. The award was established in 2002 to recognize one or more individuals or law firms for outstanding and sustained achievements in pro bono activities in the tax law.
- Carole Cukell Neff of Sessions, Fishman, current Board 2nd Vice-Chair, was recently awarded the Michaelle Pitard Wynne Professionalism Award by the New Orleans Chapter of the Association for Women Attorneys. The award is presented each year to a member of the greater New Orleans legal community who exemplifies the ideals and professionalism that the late U.S. Magistrate Judge Wynne so capably displayed in her too short career.
- Mark Surprenant of Adams & Reese, former Board member and past Board Chair, is one of five Louisiana recipients of the Legal Services Corporation's (LSC) Pro Bono Service Award. The award is presented in recognition of his extraordinary service to pro bono, and in particular to his long time work with The Project, where he has done every volunteer job from case handler to Board chair. Read the full press release: LSC Award
Congratulations are also in order for Board member and 2012 JFAB Chair, Mindy Brickman, Esq. and Mark Vicknair, Esq., who were married on January 20, 2013. Mindy is with McGlinchey Stafford and Mark is in private practice.
Along with all these congratulations comes a big welcome to our new Board members:
- P. Kevin Columb, Sr.,Gordon Arata, et.al.
- Sherry Dolan, Baker Donelson, et. al.
- Michelle Egan, O'Melveny & Myers
- Larry Gibbs, Gibbs Construction
- Kim Perret, Jones Walker, et. al.
- Gregory Rouchell, Adams & Reese
- Alanah Odoms Hebert, Gauthier, Houghtaling & Williams representing Jefferson Bar Association
- Leopold Sher, Sher Garner, et. al. representing New Orleans Bar Association
It is also our pleasure to announce that Sherry Dolan of Baker Donelson, et. al. is our 2013 Justice For All Ball Chair. A behind the scenes veteran of this event, Sherry is already gearing up for our 25th Annual Ball so be on the lookout for more information on 2013 JFAB in the coming months.
Finally, kudos to Gulf Coast Bank, which is giving away $50,000 to area non-profits. We're a registered non-profit for this, so please take the time to show your support. You can begin voting for The Project as your favorite non-profit on Monday, February 4, 2013 at: Gulf Coast Bank
Who are you rooting for in Sunday's Super Bowl???
All the best,
PS -- Spread the word about The Pro Bono Project by using the new social media buttons and connect this newsletter to your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or other social media page. Thanks!
Bravo to Our Volunteers
|Bravo to All!Photo by Tommy Santora, Adams & Reese|
For those who missed out on our Annual Volunteer Appreciation Awards event on Wednesday, December 12, 2012, at Jones Walker, here's a look at some of our award winners.
Shop 'til You Drop & Give to The Project!
Earn money for The Pro Bono Project every time you do the things you do everyday:
The Pro Bono Project's mission is to provide free, quality civil legal services to the underserved by engaging volunteer lawyers to render pro bono services. The Project serves Orleans, Jefferson, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Tammany and Washington Parishes with funding from the Justice For All Ball and other sources. The Project works in collaboration with other legal and social service providers to improve the quality of life for our clients and our community.