Last week in Albany hundreds of library supporters got some encouraging news - the New York State Senate is proposing a $3 million restoration to library aid. If successful, this will result in a small step in the right direction (library aid needs a $20 million boost to get back to statutory funding levels, or "full formula funding.")
However, this is not final yet. We are still waiting to hear the Assembly's proposal for library aid restoration, if they match the Senate's proposal it is highly likely to happen, otherwise there will be a period of negotiation about library aid before the target budget completion date of March 21st.
Advocates used the History of Library Aid chart, available at http://bit.ly/Zgp9X3, to give legislators and their staff a visual aid to help them understand how far behind library aid has fallen.
Library advocates will need to continue their work right up until the budget passes. The New York Library Association has their Online Advocacy Center ready and waiting for library advocates to use, but never forget - a phone call goes a long way! Don't be shy, call up your legislators and express your support for their support of library aid restoration. Contact info for your legislators and a link to the NYLA Online Advocacy Center can be found at midhudson.org.
MHLS Thanks Area Advocates!
Over 40 library advocates from the MHLS region traveled to Albany last week to knock on the doors of their legislators and deliver the message that now is the time to restore library aid to full formula funding. We salute their dedication and energy that benefits us all!
Area Friends Groups Make it Happen!
Fourteen member library Friends Groups joined the Foundation for Hudson Valley Libraries to help underwrite the buses to Albany that carried over 100 regional supporters up to Library Advocacy day. We know how hard Friends Groups work to earn every dollar and how valuable their efforts are, we thank them for investing in library advocacy this year!
Thanks goes to:
- Friends of the Brewster Public Library
- Friends of the Greenville Public Library
- Friends of the Library of Haines Falls
- Friends of the Howland Public Library
- Friends of the Kinderhook Memorial Library
- Friends of the Kingston Library
- Friends of the Mahopac Public Library
- Friends of the Pine Plains Free Library
- Friends of the Poughkeepsie Public Library District
- Friends of the Red Hook Public Library
- Friends of the Saugerties Public Library
- Friends of the Starr Library in Rhinebeck
- Friends of the Town of Esopus Library
- Friends of the Phoenicia Library Association