The "2013 School Library Partner Manual" is now available. It contains complete information for school libraries and schools to partner with a public library, or public library system, to help all students gain the full advantage of summer reading. It also has full resource lists for books, recordings, and websites related to the 2013 theme, Underground, and slogans, "Dig into Reading" (children) and "Beneath the Surface" (teens). The partner manual can be downloaded from the "Summer Reading at New York Libraries" website http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/summer/ , click on "Downloadable Materials" and scroll to the bottom of the page. Also available on the "downloadable materials" page is summer reading flyers and brochures to share with educators and parents.
The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA a division of the American Library Association (ALA), announced its 2013 Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers selection list. The list is presented annually at the ALA Midwinter Meeting. The Quick Picks list suggests books that teens, ages 12-18, will pick up on their own and read for pleasure; it is geared to the teenager who, for whatever reason, does not like to read. The complete list of 65 titles and 3 series, drawn from 217 nominations, can be found at http://bit.ly/Hx5MBt. The Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers committee also selected a Top Ten list:
1. Backderf, Derf. "My Friend Dahmer." Abrams/Abrams ComicArts, 2012.
2. Henry, April. "The Night She Disappeared" Henry Holt Books for Young Readers /Christy Ottaviano Books, 2012.
3. Lyga, Barry. "I Hunt Killers." Little Brown, 2012.
4. Lynch, Chris. Series. Scholastic Press.
a. "Vietnam #1: I Pledge Allegiance," 2011
b. "Vietnam #2:Sharpshooter," 2012
c. "Vietnam #3: Free-Fire Zone," 2012
5. McNeil, Gretchen. "Ten." Balzer + Bray," 2012.
6. Rodriguez, Gaby; Glatzer, Jenna. "The Pregnancy Project: A Memoir." Simon & Schuster Inc./Simon & Schuster BFYR, 2012.
7. Ross, Richard. "Juvenile in Justice." Richard Ross, 2012.
8. Summer, Courtney. "This is Not a Test." Macmillan/St. Martin's Griffin, 2012.
9. Tillit, L.B. "Unchained." Saddleback Publishing/Gravel Road, 2012
10. Woodson, Jacqueline. "Beneath a Meth Moon: An Elegy." Penguin Group (USA) Inc./Nancy Paulsen Books, 2012.