Resource Sharing & Millennium
MHLS libraries served a record number of digital eBooks and audiobooks to patrons this holiday season. The collection was ready with 1,782 eBooks and 948 audiobooks available for checkout on Christmas Eve thanks to member library funds, Central Library Development Aid funds, extra funds provided by Ulster County Library Association, Greene County Library Association, Highland Library, Kingston Library, and 164 eBooks gifted to us from OverDrive. There are a total of over 2,700 eBooks and 1,300 audiobooks in the MHLS Digital Download Collection at http://mhls.lib.overdrive.com.
7,153 MHLS library patrons started checking out MHLS Digital Download Collection digital materials (374 just between Christmas and New Years alone!). A total of over 16,000 MHLS patrons are now registered on our OverDrive site.
- eBook Checkouts:
62,966 OverDrive eBooks and 4,619 Gutenberg Project eBooks were checked out through the MHLS Digital Download Collection, for a total of 67,585 eBook checkouts in 2012.
- Audiobook Checkouts: 20,265 in 2012.
View the chart at http://bit.ly/VZUolJ to see how digital downloads have increased since the MHLS Digital Download Collection was started in February 2010. Look at the spikes during the 2011 and 2012 holiday season (an all time high), and the surprising spike this year in October as patrons loaded up their devices with reading material before the power outages expected with Storm Sandy.
Returning Digital Downloads: Here is some information that will be helpful for patrons wanting to return items early. Patrons may want to do this because it frees up space on their card to download more!
- At the end of the loan period all items will expire automatically and will return to the collection automatically.
- Audiobooks can now be returned before the loan period is over on some devices.
- eBooks can be returned before the loan period is over:
How to return an EPUB or PDF eBook early through Adobe Digital Editions:http://bit.ly/W3yHAd
How to return a Kindle eBook early: an eBook checked out on the Kindle is returned through Amazon
1. Go to amazon.com and from the Kindle menu on right select 'Manage Your Kindle'
2. Sign into your Amazon account
3. Select 'Actions' dropdown menu next to the book you want to return.
4. From the menu, select 'Return' this book
5. Select 'Yes' to return the book
6. After the book is returned, the title can be removed from your list by selecting the "Actions" dropdown again and selecting 'Delete' from library.