Vol. 13-02 1.8.13
Mark Your Calendars!
Start planning now for some of the many "library holidays" coming up in 2013! Many of these events are sponsored by the American Library Association or other organization that provide marketing materials for the event! These can be great programming and PR opportunities in your community:
- Library Lovers Month: February
- Digital Learning Day: February 6, 2013
- Teen Tech Week: March 10-16, 2013
- Freedom of Information Day: March 16, 2013
- National Library Week:April 14-20, 2013 http://bit.ly/z06jxM (more info coming soon!)
- Celebrate Teen Literature Day: April 18, 2013
- School Library Month: April
- National D.E.A.R. Day (Drop Everything and Read Day): April 12, 2013 http://www.dropeverythingandread.com/
- World Book Night: April 23, 2013
- Children's Day/Book Day - El día de los niños/El día de los libros (Día): April 30, 2013 http://dia.ala.org/
- Children's Book Week: May http://www.bookweekonline.com/
- Library Card Sign-up Month: September
- Banned Books Week (Dates TBA)
- Teen Read Week: October 13-19, 2013
- National Friends of Libraries Week: October 20-26, 2013
- International Games Day [Formerly National Gaming Day]: November 2, 2013 http://ngd.ala.org/
Annual Report to New York State Deadline: February 15, 2013.
MHLS will be closed on the following dates in 2013, there will be no delivery on these days:
- January 21
- February 18
- May 27
- July 4
- September 2
- November 11
- November 28
- November 29
- December 25
2013 Directors' Association Meeting Schedule:
- Tuesday, January 8 (snow date 1/9)
- Wednesday, February 6 (snow date 2/7)
- Wednesday, March 6 (snow date 3/7)
- Friday, April 5
- Thursday, May 2
- Monday, June 3
- Wednesday, July 24
- Monday, September 9
- Friday, October 4
- Thursday, November 7 (snow date11/8)
- Friday, December 6
2013 Meeting Dates for the MHLS Board of Trustees:
- Saturday, January 12 (snow date: 1/15)
- Saturday, March 9 (snow date: 3/12)
- Wednesday, May 8
- Wednesday, July 10
- Wednesday, September 18
- Friday, October 18 (annual meeting)
- Saturday, December 7 (snow date 12/10)
All MHLS Board meetings, with the exception of the Annual Meeting, run from 10:00am - 12:00pm. The May meeting is often held at a member library, the location would be announced at a later date if that is the case for 2013. Other than the Annual Meeting all meetings are held in the MHLS Auditorium. Information about the MHLS Board of Trustees, including the current and archived board documents is available on the MHLS web site at http://midhudson.org/meetings/board/main.htm
2013 Conference Dates:
- Computers in Libraries Conference: April 8-10 in Washington, DC. For more information: http://www.infotoday.com/cil2013
- Innovative Users Group (IUG) Conference: April 23-26 in San Francisco, CA. For more information: http://innovativeusers.org/
- Youth Services Section (YSS) Annual Spring Conference: May 16-17, 2012 in Rochester, NY. This year's conference theme is "Among the Readers and Beyond." Stick around on May 18th for the Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival! For more information: http://bit.ly/ReVxHq
- American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference: June 27-July 2 in Chicago, IL. For More information: http://ala13.ala.org/
- New York Library Association (NYLA) Annual Conference: September 25-28 in Niagara Falls, NY. For more information: http://www.nyla.org
Youth Services Librarian: The Desmond-Fish Library in Garrison is seeking an enthusiastic, experienced youth services librarian to plan and present children's and teen programs, select children's and teen books, and generally assist patrons at a busy library. College degree, strong customer service orientation, computer skills, and related experience required. Familiarity with Millennium is a plus. Full-time position. Compensation is commensurate with education and experience. Mail letter of interest and resume to Desmond-Fish Library, PO box 265, Garrison, NY 10524. First consideration will be given to applicants who respond by January 16th.
Library Director: The Pawling Library is seeking a creative, energetic and experienced individual to fill the position of Library Director for the Pawling community. Pawling, New York is located in Southeast Dutchess County in the beautiful Hudson Valley. The Library, an association library, serves both the Town and Village of Pawling. The Library has an experienced staff and a supportive public. The Director will work closely with the Pawling Library's Board of Trustees to achieve a consensus on the overall vision, mission and long range plan for the library and to assist in securing funding required to achieve the goals and objectives of the Library. Minimum qualifications include:
- A Master's Degree in Library Science, or equivalent, from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited institution and hold, or be eligible for, the New York State Public Librarian Certification
- Five years of professional public library experience.
- Demonstrated ability in digital literacy training.
- The successful candidate will have excellent communication, human resource and interpersonal skills, leadership ability in promoting use of information technology, and an enthusiasm to work in harmony with Board, staff and the public.
- Experience in budget preparation and management, grant writing and project management.
Compensation: Starting salary $55,000 per annum with medical benefits and vacation. Please see Library Job Description below for additional information concerning the position. For further information about the Pawling Library please see our website at: http://www.pawlinglibrary.org/ Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter by email to: email@example.com. Alternately, send by regular mail to: Director Search Committee, The Pawling Library, 11 Broad Street, Pawling NY 12564.
MHLS recommends that the minimum starting salary of a full or part-time librarian with an MLS degree be at least equal to that of a teacher with a master's degree in the same community.
Member Libraries are welcome to submit items of interest and job openings to the MHLS Bulletin: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The MHLS Bulletin is available on line at http://midhudson.org/bulletins/main.htm.