A publication produced by
COPIC Facility Risk Management
(720) 858-6270 or
(800) 421-1834, ext. 6270
Save the Date!
The 2013 COPIC Risk Management & Patient Safety Forum will be held at the
J.W. Marriott Denver
in Cherry Creek, Colorado on
October 2nd, 3rd, & 4th.
|In The News|
to The Memorial Hospital in
The Memorial Hospital was recently recognized by Medline Industries and received an Excellence Award for its "Pressure Ulcer Prevention Program."
Click HERE to read about this award.
Sign up for these free e-newsletters to have the latest news, tools and resources
emailed to you weekly!
Becker's ASC Review
Upcoming Educational Conferences
AWHONN Annual Convention
June 15-19, 2013
36th Annual Rural Hospital Conference
May 8-10, 2013
Cheyenne Mtn. Resort
Colorado Springs, CO
CASCA Annual Conference
May 14-15, 2013
Marriott Tech Center
Nebraska Healthcare Quality Forum
May 9, 2013
La Vista, NE
NHA Mid-Year Meeting
May 23-24, 2013
Younes Conf. Center
We Heard You
Many requests have been received for a documentation education packet that can be accessed and used as an annual competency tool for staff.
In response to your requests, we are creating "Key Concepts in Healthcare Documentation: A Safety & Risk Perspective." This will be a comprehensive educational packet that can be specifically tailored by you for your facility. It will have the capacity to fill in your facility policies, procedures and/or protocols to create a customized version. The new packet is in the works and will be available to download on COPIC's website once it is complete.
We would like to elicit feedback and fine tune the content by involving a few facilities to participate in a trial of the new packet. If you are interested in volunteering as a trial site, please contact Terri Gaertner
|HIPAA Update |
Did you know HIPAA has been revised?
The revisions became effective March 26, 2013. Click here
to read the new Final Rule.
|News from COPIC |
This is a Patient Safety and Risk Management section specifically designed for our insured facilities and includes:
- Current and archived Facility e-Newsletters.
- COPIC Facility Value-Added Services including "Introductory Packets" for new facilities and new risk management contacts at current COPIC-insured facilities.
- Past Risk Management and Patient Safety Forum presentations and tools.
No travel necessary! COPIC On-Demand Courses are available online.
All insureds are welcome to take courses from your
their home or office computer and apply for CMEs, CNEs and/or COPIC points (eligible COPIC-insured physicians only) when available. Visit the Education Resources
page on our website for the most current offerings.
Here is a sample of on-demand courses available:
- How Doctors Think: Errors and Cognition in Medicine
- Informed Consent
- Liability Aspects of EHRs
Interactive Case Studies:
- The Case Study of Leo McNeil
- The Case Study of Arthur Closier
- Assessing Patient Safety in the Office
- Practice Quality Modules 1 and 2
- Principal Issues of Medical Records Release and Retention
And Coming Soon:
- Communication Module 1 and 2
Note - New on-demand courses are always underway. Visit callcopic.com/education for current offerings.
If you need to obtain a username and password for the COPIC website, please contact Kelsey Gifford
If you have further questions on how to access the
on-demand courses, please contact Sunny Hessler
Highlights from recent issues of the 2013 Colorado Copiscope:
- FDA Approved Risk Management Education on Long-Term Opioids (also in February issue of Nebraska Copiscope)
- Syncope - Key Factors to Consider
- Resurgence of Pertussis in Colorado (also in February issue of Nebraska Copiscope)
- Study Examines Association Between Use of Electronic Health Records and Medical Liability Claims
- Legal Protections for Providing Care Under Emergency and Volunteer Circumstances
- Steep Rise in Childbirth Complications: Implementing Training and Protocols to Improve Perinatal Safety
- Risk Management Guidelines for Telephone Encounters
- Caring for Breast Cancer Survivors
Missed an issue? Visit our Newsletter Archive.
|The Latest from ECRI |
ECRI Healthcare Risk Control Membership News
For Acute Care Facilities
- Event Report Interviews
- Patient Lifts
- Immunization of Healthcare Personnel
- High-Profile Healthcare Associated Infections
- Office-Based Surgery and Anesthesia
- Addressing the Special Needs of Bariatric Patients
- Patients Leaving Against Medical Advice
- Surgical Fires
- Home Care: An Overview
- Home Care: Staff Related Risks
- Patients Who Leave Without Being Seen
ECRI Operating Room Risk Management Membership News
For Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- Refusal of Blood Transfusions on Religious Grounds
- Employee Radiation Exposure
- Health Literacy
- Culturally and Linguistically Competent Care
- Bed Safety
- Sharps Injury Prevention and Control
- Bar-Coded Medication Administration Systems
For more info, visit ECRI Institute online.
|Pennsylvania Patient Safety Advisory |
Reviews and Analysis
- The Role of the Electronic Health Record in Patient Safety Events
- Analysis of the Multiple Risks Involving the Use of IV FentaNYL
- Surgical Fires: Trends Associated with Prevention Efforts
Focus on Infection Prevention
- Multifaceted Differences in Implementation of Practices for Prevention of Colorectal and Bariatric Surgical Site Infections
From The Database
- Potential Hazards of Clock Synchronization Errors
- Quarterly Update on Wrong-Site Surgery: Facilities with Barriers to Best Practices May Experience More Wrong Site Surgeries
Other Patient Safety Information & Features
- Wrong Site Surgery Protocol Followed
- The Effects of Drug Shortages on Unsafe Injection Practices
- Letter to the Editor: Malignant Hypothermia
Reviews and Analysis
- Distractions and Their Impact on Patient Safety
- Class III Obese Patients: Is Your Hospital Equipped to Meet Their Needs?
- Results of the Opioid Knowledge Assessment from the Pennsylvania Hospital Engagement Network Adverse Drug Event Collaboration
Focus on Infection Prevention
- Healthcare Outbreaks - Risk Assessment and Mitigation Based on Pathogen, Population and Environmental Factors: The P2E Concept
- Quarterly Updated: What Body Parts and Procedures are Associated with Wrong Site Surgery?
|Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) |
In Case You Didn't Know:
As of January 2012, Nurse Advise-ERR Newsletter
is being offered FREE to acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, community health clinics, surgical centers and birthing centers, as well as faculty at academic settings. Those who work in other settings can still purchase a subscription.
Please refer to the ISMP website
for more information on signing up for your free newsletter. This is a great newsletter, so check it out!
- December 2012 - Generic Methylergonovine and Engerix B mix-ups due to look-a-like vials
- January 2013 - Just Culture and its critical link to patient safety (Part I)
- February 2013 - Ongoing concern about insulin pen reuse shows hospitals need to consider transitioning away from them
|A Word About the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) |
is a sector of the U.S. Health and Human Services branch that is home to the National Guideline Clearing House resource and many others. This is a public site and houses a wealth of healthcare resources.
Please take a few moments to visit its website and become familiar with the content. Many of the News and Tools links below are AHRQ resources. You can also sign up for its free electronic newsletter.
Thank you for your commitment to patient safety and improving the practice of medicine. Always feel free to contact COPIC with any questions you may have about Patient Safety and Risk Management services.
Carol Anne Tarrant, RN, MS, JD, CPHRM
Director, Facility Patient Safety and Risk Management
Phone: 720-858-6000//Toll Free: 800-421-1834