Share the knowledge with post-Annual Session events
|Annual Session 2013 welcomed 490 students from 61 U.S. dental schools. Chapter leaders are encouraged to share what you learned with your members by repurposing the PowerPoint slides seen onsite during your own custom presentations. Didn't make it to Annual Session? Check out recaps on Mouthing Off and view event photos.
Congratulations to ASDA's 2013 Gold Crown Award winners
|ASDA held its Gold Crown Awards Ceremony during Annual Session. Nearly 500 students walked the red carpet in anticipation of hearing this year's winners.
It's never too early to start improving your chapter's newsletter, website or recruitment campaigns. Do your best and next year your name may be listed below. Congratulations to the following 2013 Gold Crown Award winners:
Oklahoma Chapter takes home several Gold Crown Awards
| Delegates of the Year |
|District 1||Christina Shaw, Connecticut '14|
|District 2||Keren Etzion, Stony Brook '14|
|District 3 and National Delegate of the Year||Brandon Berman, Howard '13|
|District 4||Leslie Treherne-Fayton, Meharry '14|
|District 5||Ross Isbell, Alabama '14|
|District 6||Andrew Hansen, Ohio '14|
|District 7||Jennifer Neese, Indiana '14|
|District 8||Kirby Johnson, Minnesota '14|
|District 9||Wade Barker, Baylor '13|
|District 10||Erin Anderson, Las Vegas '14|
|District 11||Chris Dudzik, Western '13|
| Gold Crown Awards for Media|
|Best Website in Competition||Oklahoma|
|Best Newsletter in Competition||San Francisco|
|Quality of Website Information||Arizona|
|Website Design & Usability||Columbia|
|Quality of Newsletter Information||Virginia|
|Newsletter Design & Layout||Tennessee|
|Most Improved Newsletter||Oklahoma|
|Excellence in Social Media||Oklahoma|
|Outstanding News Article||"Why redheads avoid dental students" by Brandon Syme, Marquette '13|
|Outstanding Feature Article||"Navigating predental forums" by Katie Sleeper, predental|
| Gold Crown Awards for Chapter Achievements |
|Ideal ASDA Chapter||Oklahoma|
|Best Newsletter in Competition||Minnesota|
|Most Improved Chapter||Detroit-Mercy|
|Outstanding Membership and Communication||Oklahoma|
|Outstanding Activities||Los Angeles|
|Outstanding Organized Dentistry||Ohio|
|Outstanding Predental Involvement||Virginia|
|Most Creative Presentation||Ohio|
|Implementation of Automatic Billing System||North Carolina|
|Highest Market Share at a Recruited Chapter||Nebraska|
| ASDA/Crest Oral-B Community Dentistry Awards |
|Second Place||Los Angeles|
| Predental Recruitment Incentive |
|Second Place||Los Angeles|
|Third Place (tie)||Illinois and Oklahoma|
|Ryan Turner Memorial Scholarship|
|Daryn Lu, Oklahoma '15|
Welcome ASDA's 2013-14 Board of Trustees
ASDA elected its new board of trustees at Annual Session. Board members serve a one-year term that ends at Annual Session 2014 in Anaheim.
President: Jiwon Lee, Columbia '14
Vice President: Tyler Rumple, Washington '14
Vice President: Martin Smallidge, Pittsburgh '14
Speaker of the House: Gabriel Holdwick, Detroit-Mercy '14
Executive Director: Nancy Honeycutt, CAE
Editor-in-Chief: Katie Sowa, Houston '15
District 1 Trustee: Sameet Gill, Boston '14
District 2 Trustee: Lauren Vitkus, Buffalo '14
District 3 Trustee: Kaushik Sharma, Temple '14
District 4 Trustee: Christian Ortiz, Meharry '15
District 5 Trustee: Jason Watts, Nova Southeastern '15
District 6 Trustee: Alexandra Martella, Detroit Mercy '14
District 7 Trustee: Jenny Neese, Indiana '14
District 8 Trustee: Eve Lofthus, Missouri '15
District 9 Trustee: Daryn Lu, Oklahoma '15
District 10 Trustee: Onika Patel, Arizona '14
District 11 Trustee: Kris Mendoza, Los Angeles '15
Immediate Past President: Colleen Greene, Harvard '13
Schedule your appointments for National Dental Student Lobby Day
Registered participants should schedule their congressional appointments as soon as possible (no later than Tuesday, April 9 ).To avoid double-booking appointments, have one person coordinate the congressional appointments and know upfront how many people will be coming with. If you have a large group of people, you may want split up so you can visit more offices.
To schedule appointments with legislators and/or staff:
- Enter your zip code at www.Congress.org to display the legislators for your state and congressional district. Put in both the home zip codes of the attendees and the zip code of your school.
- Call your legislators' offices in Washington, D.C. and ask to speak with the offices' scheduler (e-mails can often go overlooked). Identify yourself as a student from your dental school and that you'd like to set an appointment for Tuesday, April 16 for X people. Your first appointment can be scheduled as early as 9:30 a.m. after the photo at the Capitol. Allow at least 25 minutes between House/House-side meetings and at least 35 minutes between House/Senate-side meetings. Be flexible and accept a visit with a staff member if you cannot see the Representative or Senator.
- Once your appointment has been confirmed, add the appointment to the Lobby Day appointment schedule. Please provide the school, name of the legislator, state, district, appointment time and any comments.
More information is posted at www.ASDAnet.org/LobbyDay. The agenda and lobby materials will be sent to you soon.
Chapters' exceptional recruitment efforts
Many chapters have recruited more members for 2013 compared to 2012. Congratulations to the following recruited chapters who have met or exceeded membership over last year: Connecticut, Michigan, Louisville, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, San Antonio, Midwestern-Arizona, Roseman, Las Vegas and San Francisco.
Kudos to three chapters who went above and beyond in their recruiting efforts:
Questions regarding your chapter's membership totals can be directed to Erin Kato, membership relations specialist, at Erin@ASDAnet.org .
- LECOM, a new ASDA chapter, has a 90 percent market share in their first year
- Connecticut increased membership by 13 percent
- San Francisco increased membership by 25 percent
April 1 deadline for 2013 Certificate for International Volunteer Service
Is there a student at your chapter or in your district who has volunteered overseas? The ADA Division of Global Affairs is accepting nominations for the 2013 Certificate for International Volunteer Service. Application forms and award guidelines can be found online and the deadline is April 1.
The certificate recognizes ADA members who have participated in international volunteer programs. The certificate is awarded to active, life, student or retired ADA members who have served abroad for a minimum of 14 days in a given 24-month period.
For more information, contact the ADA Division of Global Affairs at 312-440-2726 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am graduating from dental school in May. What happens with my ASDA and ADA membership?
ASDA membership runs on a calendar year, so you will be a predoctoral member of ASDA until Dec. 31, 2013. This means, you are still eligible for the full benefits of ASDA, including health insurance, free life and disability insurance and our publications. Be sure to update your contact information with ASDA so you can continue to receive your benefits (see below for instructions on updating your address).
ADA membership also runs on a calendar year so your student membership does not expire until Dec. 31. However, now is the time to start planning your conversion from student to active ADA membership. You have several options, depending on your next step after graduation:
- graduate student membership if you are going into a graduate program or residency;
- tripartite membership through your state society, if you will be an associate, starting a practice, or faculty of a dental school;
- federal dental service membership for those going into the armed forces or becoming a federal employee; and
- provisional membership if you have graduated but haven't started a professional career yet. All categories have reduced rates. For details, visit www.ada.org/goto/join.
How do I update my contact information?
There are three ways to update your contact information, including e-mail address, with ASDA:
- Go online to www.ASDAnet.org/update-your-address.aspx and login as a member using your last name as your user name and ADA number as your password
- E-mail membership@ASDAnet.org
- Call 800-621-8099, ext. 2795
Who should I contact with questions or concerns? Membership@ASDAnet.org
Upcoming Events & Deadlines
May 15, 2013
Authorization form due for chapters part of ASDA's group tax exemption
If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
- Maya Angelou