HCE Summer Reading Program
"Dig" into some great books this summer!
Please return the completed log to your HCE classroom teacher the first week of school (August 19-23.) Books must be age and/or grade/reading level appropriate. Non-readers may have books read to them.
- Read 5 or more books: Receive an HCE spirit pin and attend our ice cream social and book swap in the fall.
- Read 10 or more books: Your name will be entered into grade-level drawings for gift cards.
Click here for your: Summer Reading Log 2013
Suggested Reading List 2013
Entering 5th Grade:
- Ingrid Law Series
- Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade, by Barthe DeClements
- Hanging Off Jefferson's Nose: Growing Up On Mount Everest, by Tina Nichols Curry
- The Camping Trip that Changed America: Theodore Roosevelt, John Muir and Our National Parks, by Barbara Rosenstock
- Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library, by Chris Grabenstein
- The Books of Elsewhere Series, by Jacqueline West
- The Wind and the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame
- The Janitors, by Tyler Whitesides
Entering 4th Grade:
- Judy Blume Series
- Roald Dahl Books
- The Humphrey Series, by Betty G. Birney
- The Candymakers, by Wendy Mass
- Shark Wars Series, by E.J. Altbacker
- Boy, Were We Wrong About Dinosaurs! and Boy, Were We Wrong About the Solar System! by Kathleen Kudlinski
- Fake Mustache, or How Jodie O'Rodeo and Her Wonder Horse (and some Nerdy Kid) Saved the U.S. Presidential Election from a Mad Genius Criminal Mastermind, by Tom Angleberger
- A Dog's Tale, by Laurie Myers
Entering 3rd Grade:
- Mirror, Mirror and Follow, Follow, by Marilyn Singer
- Ellray Jakes Series, by Sally Warner
- Dragonbreath Series by Ursula Vernon
- Ivy and Bean Series by Annie Barrows
- The Who Was? Series
- The What Was? Series
- One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
- Waiting for Magic by Patricia Maclachlan
- What I did on My Summer Vacation: Kids' Favorite Funny Summer Vacation Poems by Bruce Lansky
Entering 2nd Grade:
- Gorillas by Patricia Brennan Demuth
- Batman: Day of the Brave and the Bold: Day of the Dark Night!
- Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathmann
- Summer by Alice Law
- Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds
- Disney: The Never Girls: In a Blink
- The Night Before Series by Judy Durrell
- Nursery Rhyme Crimes Series by Priscilla Lamont
Entering 1st Grade:
- Turtle and Snake Go Camping by Kate Sophn
- Spider's Lunch (All About Garden Spiders) by Joanna Cole
- Tiny Goes to the Library by Cari Meister
- Billy and Milly by Eve Feldman
- Skippyjon Jones Series by Judy Schachner
- The Night Before First Grade by Judy Durrell
- National Geographic Readers: (i.e. Caterpillar to Butterfly)
- The Gingerbread Man Loose on the Fire Truck by Laura Murray
Sunshine State Books 2013-14
Elementary (Grades 3-5)
- Angleberger, Tom. Fake mustache, or, How Jodie O'Rodeo and Her Wonder Horse (and Some Nerdy Kid) Saved the U.S.Presidential Election from a Mad Genius Criminal Mastermind. Amulet Books, 2012.
- Applegate, Katherine. One and Only Ivan. Harper, 2012.
- Breitrose, Prudence. Mousenet. Disney/Hyperion Books, 2011.
- Carman, Patrick. Floors. Scholastic Press, 2011.
- Cheng, Andrea. The Year of the Book. Houghton Mifflin, 2012.
- Crum, Shutta. Thomas and the Dragon Queen. Random House/Alfred A. Knopf, 2010.
- Graff, Lisa. Double Dog Dare. Penguin/Philomel Books, 2012.
- Kelly, Katie. Melonhead. Random House/Delacorte, 2009.
- Lord, Cynthia. Touch Blue. Scholastic Press, 2010.
- MacLachlan, Patricia. Waiting for the Magic. Simon and Schuster - Atheneum, 2011.
- Mass, Wendy. The Candymakers. Little Brown, 2010.
- Rocklin, Joanne. The Five Lives of our Cat Zook. Amulet Books, 2012.
- Scattergood, Augusta. Glory Be. Scholastic, 2012.
- Trivas, Tracey. Wish Stealers, The. Simon & Schuster/Aladdin, 2010.
- Whitesides, Tyler. Janitors. Shadow Mountain, 2011.