FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
|JOIN OUR E-LIST |
|PLEASE EMAIL US|
|...and let us know:|
- what you'd like to see in this e-resource
- of creation-care resources, news, and events
- about "Creation Keepers" in your church and throughout our Conference
Please click on the above link to find an indexed list of our archived issues.
Caring @ Annual Conference
|June 7, 2013|
Are you planning to be part of Annual Conference next week in Wenatchee, WA? If you or someone from your church plans to take part, please be sure to look through this issue of Creation-Care, 365 to learn of several opportunities to grow in your own creation-care ministry and walk. If you're traveling to Wenatchee, may God grant you traveling mercies. And, may God grant us all wisdom and joy as we convene to "restore hope and cry out for justice" (Rev. Jaramillo's quote below) for all creation!
Grace and Peace be with you,
Creation-Care Projects Coordinator
PNW Office of Connectional Ministries
|Rev. M. Linda Jaramillo
Executive Minister for Justice and Witness Ministries, United Church of Christ
From "Keep Pushing for Planet Earth"
"When pushed by environmental responsibility we now face a choice. Do we live in despair and do nothing or do we live in hope and take action?.... If we chose hope, we must consider changes beyond small adjustments. We are pushed to restore hope and cry out for justice. We are pushed to spiritual and lifestyle transformation."
| Small Steps... for Greater Good|
|"Tending God's Garden, Feeding God's People"
Change the World @ Annual Conference
Friday, June 14
2-4 p.m., meet in Lower Hallway at the Wenatchee Convention Center
For the past four years, United Methodists from around the world have been hosting and participating in "Change the World" events, typically held during the month of May. United Methodist Communications (UMCOM) helps to sponsor these events which build upon the United Methodist desire to make a difference in the world and our need to better engage the communities we live in. This year our Pacific Northwest Conference will be hosting such an event during our 2013 Annual Conference Sessions in Wenatchee (June 14-16).
Friday, June 14: join with Wenatchee-based Community Harvest and other creation-caring friend to grow and harvest nutritious, chemical-free produce for local foodbanks
. If you plan to participate, please wear closed-toed shoes/boots and bring sunscreen, water, and gloves.
Hope to see you soon!
|Tools for Renewal|
|"Congregations Confronting Global Climate Change" Luncheon
Creation-care luncheon at Annual Conference 2013
Saturday, June 15, 12-1:30 p.m.
Wenatchee Convention Center, Fuji Room
|April 21, 2013 dedication of new solar panels at Wesley UMC of Yakima: one of our luncheon's featured guests. |
Ready to feel less daunted and more hopeful in responding to climate change? Join Tanya Barnett, PNW Conference Creation-Care Ministries Coordinator; Rev. Jenny Phillips, Director of Creation Change; LeeAnne Beres and Jessie Dye from Earth Ministry; Ann Eachus from the Board of Church and Society; and Sara Cate from Wesley UMC in Yakima (see above photo), as we explore a continuum of faithful responses to climate change.
We'll discuss hands-on actions like increasing your church's creation-care awareness and energy efficiency. And we'll explore strategies for engaging with systemic issues, including demonstrations and divestment.
- Get the facts about the PNW Conference Climate-Justice Ministries program from Tanya Barnett
- Learn what it takes to install solar panels on your church from Sara Cate from Wesley UMC (Yakima)
- Hear from LeeAnne Beres and Jessie Dye about Earth Ministry's Greening Congregations program and the Power Past Coal campaign
- Explore divestment from fossil fuels with Rev. Jenny Phillips and Ann Eachus, chair of Church and Society
Questions? Please contact Tanya Barnett at [email protected], (206) 853-0562 or Rev. Jenny Phillips at [email protected].
|Some excellent, on-line sermon helps -- most of which coincide with the Revised Common Lectionary:|
|Events & Actions|
|Spring-Summer 2013 |
- Now-June 14 (online): Spring of Sustainability 2013 free, online series "featuring the best wisdom in the work of personal and global sustainability"
- May 28 (Seattle, WA): Queen Anne UMC's The Well - Robert Paarlberg on the Politics of Food, Food Policy, Nutrition, and Feeding the World
- June 11 (Portland or Salem, OR - TBD): Eco-Faith Recovery's "Preaching in the Biocommons" workshop
- June 14 (Wenatchee, WA): "Change the World: Tending God's Garden, Feeding God's People" at PNW Annual Conference
- June 15 (Wenatchee, WA): "Congregations Confronting Global Warming" Creation-Care Luncheon at PNW Annual Conference
- June 18 (Seattle, WA): Queen Anne UMC's The Well - Marion Nestle on Public Policy, Nutrition, and SNAP
- June 20 (online): GreenFaith's "Divest & Reinvest" webinar
- July 4-7 (Seabeck, WA): Fellowship of Reconciliation's 55th Annual Regional Conference: "Harnessing Outrage & Compassion: Awakening the Power of Nonviolence"
- July 9 & August 20 (Portland or Salem, OR - TBD): Eco-Faith Recovery's "Preaching in the Biocommons" workshops
- July 27 (Shoreline, WA): Northwest Solar Fest 2013
|Announcing: 2013 "Climate-Justice Ministries" Recipients
To be recognized at PNW Annual Conference Session 2013
We are so pleased to announce that we'll be honoring 5 congregations as "Climate-Justice Ministries
" at Annual Conference:
- Fairwood Community UMC (Renton WA)
- Federal Way UMC (Auburn, WA)
- Haller Lake UMC (Seattle, WA)
- Liberty Park UMC (Spokane, WA)
- Wesley UMC of Yakima (WA)
We will celebrate the vision, efforts, and witness of these exemplary ministries at our Annual Conference Awards Banquet on Friday, June 15 at 5:30 p.m.
Please watch for the next issue of Creation-Care, 365 for inspiring descriptions of each of these ministries.