|How do you Set Your Formulas to Update Manually?
Summary: Excel updates your formulas every time you press the Enter key or press an arrow key. With large workbooks you can reduce the calc time by setting your formulas to update manually. Here is how to to do this:
- Click on the File Button. (Office Button in Excel 2007).
- Select Excel Options.
- Click on Formulas.
- Under Calculation Options select Manual.
- Click on OK.
To recalculate the workbook click on the F9 function key on your keyboard.
Updating Links Manually
Back to top
Summary: With a linked workbook the links are updated automatically each time you open the workbook. However, there are times when you need to update the links manually. Here is how to do this:
With the master worksheet open that contains the links:
- Click on the Data tab.
- Click on Edit Links.
- Click on Update Values.
- Click on Close.
The links in the worksheet will now be updated from the source worksheets.
VLOOKUP Trouble Shooting
Summary: VLOOKUP formulas sometimes return an error or an incorrect answer. When that happens here are some trouble shooting tips.
- The entire cell contents must match 100%.
- Be careful of extra spaces before and after a word.
- If you are matching numbers, make sure that both the lookup value and the matching value are formatted with the same type.
- Sometimes when you are importing data, numbers get formatted as text. This will also return an error message.
Using Text Effects
Summary: Word 2010 and 2013 has a new text effect button and menu that allows you to apply a number of visual effects to selected characters, such as shadow, glow and bevel.Here is how to apply these effects:
- Select the text to which you want to apply the effect.
- Click on the Home tab.
- Click on Text Effects in the Font Group.
- In the Text Effect drop down menu hover over the various effects to see the results on your selected text.
- Click on the effect you want to apply.
The selected text will now have the effect applied to it.