|Unhiding Column A
Summary: It is easy to Hide and Unhide columns in Excel. The exception is when you hide Column A. If you later want to unhide Columns A, the solution is challenging. Here is the solution:
- Press the F5 function key.
- Excel displays the Go To dialog box.
- In the Reference field at the bottom of the dialog box, enter A1.
- Click on OK.
- Cell A1 is now selected, even though it is not visible on the screen.
- Select the Home tab on the ribbon.
- Click on the Format tool in the Cells group.
- Select Hide & Unhide.
- Select Unhide Columns.
Column A will now be visible.
Sorting a Protected Worksheet
Summary: When you protect a worksheet, Excel prevents you from performing a wide variety of tasks. If you want to sort a protected worksheet you need to change a setting. Here is how to do this:
- Click on the the Review tab of the ribbon
- Click Protect Sheet in the Changes group, Excel displays the Protect Sheet dialog box.
- At the bottom of the dialog box is a long list of check boxes.
- Select the Sort check box.
If you select this option, then users can sort protected data.
Saving an Excel File in the CSV Format
Summary: CSV is a file type that allows you to transfer data from one program to another.If you need to save your Excel file into a CSV file here is how to do this:
CSV stands for "Comma-Separated-Values. In the file, each value is separated by a comma. The importing program knows that when it sees a comma, it can get rid of it and accept a new value. If you have information in Excel that you want to get into a different data-oriented program, there is a good chance that the other program will accept CSV files. In order to save your workbook data in CSV format, follow these steps:
At this point your worksheet is saved in the CSV format. You will now have your original Excel workbook (in the Excel format) and the CSV file, which contains the information you wanted in the CSV format.
- Click on the File tab. (In Excel 2007 click on the Office button).
- Click on the Save As dialog box.
- In the Save As Type drop-down list at the bottom of the dialog box, select the CSV (Comma delimited) option.
- Specify a file name and where the file is to be saved.
- Click on Save.
- Excel may display a dialog box telling you that not all Excel features can be maintained in the format you have chosen.
- Click on Yes to continue saving the information in the CSV format.
Quickly Selecting a Block of Text
Summary: You can select text in Word by holding down the left mouse button and dragging the mouse to make the selection. There is an even faster way to select text using your mouse. Here is how to do this:
- Position the insertion point where you want the selection to begin.
- Move the mouse cursor so it points to where you want the selection to end.
- Hold down the Shift key as you click once on the left mouse button.
The block of text is now selected.
Back to top
Summary: Using the Shift key in PowerPoint gives you access to some powerful short cuts. Here's how to use it save yourself a lot of time when you are formatting a slide.
Back to top