Our CMS Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Fair concluded on January 9th, and what a time it was! For those who could not attend, you missed some fantastic projects by our CMS students. We had over 200 projects this year, and they were really well done. We're always excited by the quality and wide variety of projects the student's produce.
We have 15 student projects advancing to the San Mateo County STEM Fair, February 23rd - 27th at the Hiller Aviation Museum.
The advancing projects are:
1. Emma K. -- Most Gross
2. Cassie J. -- Testing Perception in Colors
3. Joey K. -- The Domino Theory
4. Arthur J. -- The Tidy-Up Robot
5. Isaac R., Nick E. -- Oxygen Levels
6. Jeremiah M. -- Fruit DNA Extraction/Concentration
7. Heather H. -- Sugar Cubes in Acidic and Basic Solutions
8. Alec V. -- Using Inductors to Sense Cars
9. Connor N., William F. -- The Effect of Silica on Different Liquids
10. Ross F. -- What Angle will Shoot a Potato the Farthest
11. Anna B. -- A Page Turning Robot
12. Cameron J. -- Is it Warm in Here or is it Just Me?
13. Emily H. -- Does it Clean?
14. Alec L. -- A More Efficient Motor Cowl
15. Alex S. -- Building a Circuit that Adds 2 Numbers
Advancing projects will receive additional information when it becomes available from the County.
Along with advancing projects, we had a variety of students whose projects received an honorable mention.
Those students are:
4th grade: Mick T., Bobby B., Elliot J., Alison R., Crystal G., Shai D., Michaela M.
5th grade: Andy E., Bobby Y., Morgan C.
6th grade: Riley B., Christy T., Lauren P., Kiley H., Piper D., Kelsey K., Dominic C.,
Jack L., Hugo G.
7th grade: Esmee R., Cary L., Philip M., Sean M., Darian M.
8th grade: Eric C., Weston B., Troy S.
Many thanks to all of the parents and community members who volunteered their time and energy to help evaluate the projects. The science department appreciates your input. A special "Thank You" to Kate Cox and Dan Flahavan for their continued support and flexibility with the use of the MUR to hold our Fair.
Thanks to all of you for your support of Science at CMS.
CMS Science Team