Dear Churchill families,
This morning we had an unexpected school evacuation when a smoke detector in the gym malfunctioned and the alarm sounded. There was no danger to students at any time. The students and staff performed beautifully, just as they have been drilled to do, immediately and safely exiting the building and waiting a safe distance away until the fire department was able to check the building and issue an all-clear. The alarm sounded at about 9:30 a.m. and the all-clear was issued at about 9:48 a.m. The smoke detector is being repaired and we expect to have no more problems with it. You can be proud of your children, who were calm and followed their teachers instructions throughout the short episode.