ATTENTION: All stakeholders:
Greetings and good wishes for 2015 from all of us to all of you! Below you will find news and updates on the following:
- Public consultation on transparency principles
- Important tips on completing your 'Grandparenting" Application
- Info for Regular Route applicants
- Recognition of education & training programs
Last week CRPO met with staff from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) to discuss a proclamation date for the Psychotherapy Act, 2007 (now long overdue, we would agree!). We are pleased to report that our request for an April 1st, 2015 date was well received, and ministry staff indicated they will do all they can to make this happen. This is encouraging news, and we have every reason to believe the legislation will come into force this spring. That said, the ministry also stressed that nothing is definite until the date is officially announced. Given the need for some lead time to inform prospective members and other stakeholders about proclamation, we expect to know by the end of February whether April 1st is the date. Please stay tuned.
CRPO is seeking your feedback on Transparency Principles, which, if endorsed by Council in March, will guide future decision-making and practices of the new College. The principles are designed to support and enhance transparency regarding member information and the outcomes of College processes, particularly complaints and discipline matters. Click here to access the consultation materials. We look forward to receiving your comments!
Completing your 'Grandparenting" Application (important tips)
- Note: There is no "deadline" for submitting your application. The Grandparenting window will be open for two years following proclamation, and applications are being processed in the order in which they are received. Keep in mind that you will not receive notification about the status of your application until after a proclamation date has been set. If you hear nothing, it means your application has not been completed as yet. This should not be cause for concern as we have a sizeable backlog. We ask for your patience - we're getting faster and expect that by April 1st, we will have completed reviewing the majority of applications received to date. If, however, you have not yet submitted your application by now, it is unlikely to be processed by April 1st.
- Important: Once you've been notified that your application fee has been received by CRPO, you must submit your application - it does not happen automatically! After submitting your application, make sure the "Application Status" box on the first page of the Application says "Received". If it says "Open" your application has not yet been submitted.
- If you are claiming personal psychotherapy as a learning activity related to the development of Safe and Effective Use of Self (SEUS), you must be prepared to provide the name of the therapist involved. Alternatively, other kinds of learning activities can be used to fulfill the requirement for SEUS learning. In addition, all SEUS activities must include a description of the core SEUS learning for that activity; otherwise, those SEUS hours will not be counted for registration purposes.
Regular Route applicants
The transitional Council is now accepting applicants via the Regular Route (RR) to registration, i.e. not Grandparenting. All successful RR applicants will be registered initially in the Qualifying Category of membership, until such time as they have successfully completed all registration requirements and the registration exam. The exam will likely become available within three months following proclamation and will be open to Qualifying members who have completed all their education requirements. More information about the exam, known as the Canadian Professional Standard for Counselling and Psychotherapy (CPSCP): Entry to Practice Competency Assessment, is available at http://www.compassexams.ca/ . Also included are details about a Self-Assessment tool, designed to help individuals determine their readiness to take this professional assessment.
For full details about CRPO registration requirements and application process, go to our website at: www.crpo.ca and look for "Info for Applicants" on the home page. Also see our Registration Guide, and Guide to Completing Your Application for Registration on the "Resources" page.
Review & Recognition of education & training programs
Please be advised that CRPO staff cannot inform prospective members or students about the status of a program's Application for Recognition. To receive updates, we suggest you contact the program directly.