News you can use
You may ask questions to a male and female doctor via email link in the newsletter; we hope to respond back within a week!
Suggestions are welcome as well. This platform will also be used to announce any health related activities planned by Medical Committee (MC) or Executive Committee (EC).
Please use MC members for more information but never for emergencies.
If you want to opt out of receiving this newsletter, you can do so by clicking unsubscribe button at the bottom of this newsletter but we hope that the newsletter and the medical committee will become a good source education.
Islamic Center of Minnesota
1401 Gardena Ave NE
Fridley, MN 55432
Clinic Hours: Sundays, 10.30 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.
Tel. (763) 567-9605
Contact: Asma Khatoon
Rahma clinic, Bloomington
8910 Old Cedar Avenue S
Bloomington MN 55425
Clinic Hours: Saturday 9 am - 12 noon
Tel. (952) 883 0044
Contact: Iqbal Kazi
Please e-mail to:
Anjuman-e-Asghari is based in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis & St.Paul). It is a diverse community of Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslims and followers of Ahlul-Bayte (AS). We strive to bring effective communication and useful information for the benefit of members. Please provide us your feedback so we can provide maximum service for all.
| Living & wellness
Mission Statement: Increase medical knowlege of community members to empower them to lead productive and healthy lifestyle.
LIFE PLAN BASICS I - How to assess your health
Unfortunately most of us muddle through life. At least I did until I came to North America. Life is a journey and just like when we take a trip, we plan. When you are going to leave and return, the route, the booking of tickets, hotels, money, passport etc., you know the drill. Now, I am not going to ask you to create a life plan (that you can from reading a number of books starting with a small readable book "Creating your personal life plan" by Michael Hyatt which you can download for free: email@example.com) nor am I going to give you a discourse on it. What I intend is to give you a check list of things you must have for the long journey.
HOW HEALTHY AM I? (You do not want to fall sick on the trip and return half way) There are number of websites which will assess your risk of heart attack, stroke, cancer (the three commonest cause of death). Here is one of them:
There are other sites that assess your heart, stroke and cancer risk as well.
Implement recommendations for a maintaining good health How do I do that?
- Exercise daily for at least half an hour http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01713
- Stop smoking, chewing tobacco, beetle nut or pan.
- Maintain your weight so that BMI does not go above 25 http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.htm
- Sleep at least 7-8 hrs per day.
- Brush your teeth twice a day and floss before going to bed
- Get medical, eye, and dental examinations every year. High blood pressure and glaucoma (raised eye pressure) are silent and dangerous. Bad teeth cause diseases and can bankrupt you.
- Make sure you are up to date with preventive measures, vaccination, colonoscopy etc http://my.clevelandclinic.org/Documents/Health/health_maintenance_guidelines.pdf
- Drive safely, wear safety belt, drive a car which has high crash test safety http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/2011-Newer+Vehicles
- Wear helmet when riding a bicycle or a motorcycle. Do not ride motorcycle as means of transportation, if possible. Motorcycle is 13 times more dangerous than a car to ride.
- Avoid contact sports like boxing, American football. There are more elegant sports which will give you as much enjoyment and exercise with no serious consequences.
- Make sure you have a health insurance. If do not have a health insurance get one which cover catastrophic illnesses.
NEXT TIME HOW LONG AM I GOING TO LIVE?
These names are for your information only please do not contact them in medical Emergency Call 911 or your doctor or your Clinic.
If you have a medical problem to discuss please email female or male doctor and you will be contacted.
Ansar Ahmed MD. MRCP (UK): Neurologist
Fatima Jaffer: BS, RN, CNP: Registered Nurse, Certified Nurse Practitioner-Pediatrics
Mohamed Jaffer Karim: Pharm. D: Doctor of Pharmacy
Amir Monzavi OD: Doctor of Optometry
Cell: 612 483-1691
Abdulhussein Nathani: MD Hospitalist
Zahra A Nathani: MHA (Master of Health Administration)
Shabnam Sabur: BS, RN: Registered Nurse