Pacing for the Holidays
The holidays are busy for most of us doing activities we might not normally be doing, or at least to the intensity we do during this time. Cooking, baking, cleaning, shopping, wrapping gifts, etc. With the pressures of family and time constraints, it is easy to get carried away before we realize our bodies may not be able to keep up with us.
The Purpose of Pacing:
- Reduce the amount of stress and strain on our bodies
- Delay the onset of soreness that comes with doing an activity for a long period of time.
- Reduce the frequency, intensity and duration of flare-ups that can occur from doing a certain activity for a prolonged period of time.
- Stop PRIOR to the onset of soreness. Set a timer for a short amount of time such 10-15 minutes to help you remember.
- Do stretches, check your posture, go for a short walk, get a drink, or simply change activities to give your body a break.
Practicing these techniques will help you to be more functional and better enjoy the season.
News & Updates
We are growing!
We are pleased to announce that The Pain Center has expanded to a second location. We are now offering patients in our Fibromyalgia and Pain programs the option to receive treatment on the main campus of Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital. We hope that our growth will make our services available to more patients in West Michigan. For more information, please contact us at 616.233.3480.
More than the programs ...
At The Pain Center, our psychologists and therapists see patients outside of the programs. If you have a new injury, significant stressor, severe pain flare-up or need to adjust your home exercise program - come back to the team that you trust. We're happy to help.
Have a question about a flare up?
You are still a part of The Pain Center family. If you ever have a question, please give us a call at 616.233.3480 and we'd be happy to answer it.