Highlights from the Annual 2013 Members Meeting
San Diego, CA
Welcome to our first issue of the "Members Only" newsletter. As a PALCUS member-in-good-standing, you are receiving this special edition as a benefit of your PALCUS membership. These newsletters will contain information, invitations and other items that are reserved for those who support the organization through membership. PALCUS would not exist without its members, and this is one more way we hope to add value to being a PALCUS Member.
This special edition will give you information that was shared at the Annual Members' Meeting held in San Diego on Saturday, November 2nd, 2013 as part of the 17th Leadership Awards Gala weekend. You can see a full report of the Gala program of activities here.
During the annual meeting, Chairman Fernando Rosa, Vice-Chair Marie Fraley and Secretary Angela Simoes shared updates on what PALCUS has accomplished over the past year, and our goals for 2014. Some of these updates include:
- Chairman Rosa travelled to multiple community events, visiting Portuguese communities in 7 states,
- International relations activities, especially with regard to supporting the Lajes Air Force Base in Terceira, and the US Consulate in Ponta Delgada,
- The PALCUS report on the community survey and study regarding whether Portuguese should be considered Hispanic by the U.S. Census Bureau,
- Educational program updates including the 2013 class of interns, scholarship recipients, the mentorship program, and the new PALCUS webinar series,
- Community relations update around our new webinar series, increased social media presence (21,000+ followers!) and engagement with local Portuguese communities via mixers and other special events
- Collaborations with more than 20 other Portuguese organizations and government agencies
We encourage you to view the full presentation here.
After 22 years of existence, PALCUS has never been in a better position to advocate for and inform our community about so many different topics. We have a strong, working board, with each board member taking responsibility for a particular program or initiative. . We have increased our presence online to reach many thousands more in the community. And we are collaborating with more and more organizations to foster a greater sense of unity amongst our community.
Among our goals for 2014 PALCUS is planning to:
- Continue to advocate for the community relative to the Lajes Air Base in Terceira,
- Enhance government relations with the U.S. Congressional caucuses, Department of State and the U.S. Census Bureau,
- Engage more young Portuguese-Americans through program outreach and professional mixers,
- Reach out to Portuguese-American veterans' associations to honor their service,
- Continue to disseminate information about the teaching of the Portuguese language and culture from pre-school through university level.
We are excited about the year to come and all that there is to accomplish. To do all that needs to be done, we need the continued support of an engaged community. Thank you to all of those who have continued their support through membership dues. We ask that you encourage your family, friends and colleagues to also become a member, or Make a Donation.
We also ask that you tell us what issues are of most concern to you. Please send us an email or give us a call - we need to hear from you in order to know what matters most to you. We are here to serve you - the community - and we want to hear from you!
Thank you for your time, and we look forward to hearing from you.
PALCUS Board of Directors