At Family First Health, we Care Forward so that our patients are able to count on us for quality care and can live happy, healthy lives. We work to pass on good behavior and health and are pleased to share this newsletter with you. Here's to a happy, healthy fall!
The Key to Good Health... Starts With Apples!
|Courtney Lewis hands out apples in Continental Square during last year's Starts With Apples event.|
October is National Health Literacy Month and National Apple Month. Health literacy is the ability to understand health information and to use that information to make good decisions about your health and medical care.
To celebrate this month, Family First Health will be setting up apple handout stations in downtown York, Gettysburg and Hanover. Passersby will receive a free apple and information on how to make good decisions in their health care by becoming informed about health and medical care. Apple handout station dates and locations are:
York - October 15, 11:30 am - Continental Square and White Rose Senior Center
- Hanover - October 16, 11:30 am - Golden Visions Adult Day Services and Community Senior Center
- Gettysburg - October 17, 10:00 am - Harold Court Senior Center & Gettysburg Interfaith Gardens, 1:00 pm Fahnestock House, 3:00 pm McSherrystown.
Check out our Facebook Page all month for more info on Starts With Apples events and health literacy tips!
Employee Spotlight - Jess Dunbar, RDH, PHDH
|We're spotlighting Jess Dunbar for National Dental Hygiene Month.|
October is also National Dental Hygiene Month! The dental hygiene profession was founded 100 years ago, in 1913. Today, there are more than 150,000 registered dental hygienists across the US who provide professional oral health care to help people maintain healthy smiles and healthy bodies.
We're celebrating by spotlighting Jess Dunbar, who has been with Family First Health since 2005. She is a registered dental hygienist who earned her degree from Harrisburg Community College and recently received her Public Health Dental Hygiene Practitioner Certificate. She has previously worked with Family First Health as a dental assistant, enjoying her time with the staff and patients.
As a Public Health Dental Hygiene Practitioner, Jess has the ability to work outside of the dental office in non-traditional settings, like when Family First Health does screenings at schools, and she can see patients even if the doctor is out of the office. Jess keeps patient flow going and our dental patients happy and healthy!
Health Insurance Marketplace - What You Need to Know
Open enrollment for the new Health Insurance Marketplace opened October 1, 2013 and closes March 31, 2014. Here are some things you should know about the new system:
- If you don't already have health coverage, the Health Insurance Marketplace is a new way to find and buy health coverage that fits your budget and meets your needs.
- Not only can you view and compare health insurance options online, but with one simple application, you can have those options tailored to your personal situation and find out if you might be eligible, based on your income, for financial assistance to lower your costs.
- The information is all available online, but you can apply 4 ways: online, by phone, by mail, or in-person with the help of a trained assister or navigator. We have trained navigators at Family First Health.
- Depending on household income and family size, many individuals may qualify for tax credits to help lower their share of monthly premiums, or help that reduces deductible, copayment or other cost-sharing amounts.
- Resources are available now:
- Marketplace.cms.gov: Where organizations and individuals looking to help can get the latest resources and learn more about the Marketplace
- HealthCare.gov: Where individuals can learn about the Marketplace and the upcoming benefits.
- Health Insurance Marketplace Call Center: If you have questions, call 1-800-318-2596. TTY users should call 1-855-889-4325.
Free Regional Screening Of "Escape Fire"
Family First Health, Hamilton Health Center, and Keystone Health have partnered with Aligning Forces for Quality - South Central PA to offer a free screening of Escape Fire on Wednesday, November 13th in York, Chambersburg and Harrisburg.
"Escape Fire: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare" follows dramatic human stories as well as leaders fighting to transform healthcare at the highest levels of medicine, industry, government, and even the US military while contemplating one of the most pressing issues of our time: how can we save our badly broken healthcare system?
Please consider joining us for a thought-provoking evening. To reserve your free tickets or obtain more information on each screening, please follow the links below:
York, PA - https://escapefireffh.eventbrite.com
Sponsored by Family First Health, Aligning Forces for Quality - South Central PA and the Strand-Capitol Performing Arts Center
Chambersburg, PA - https://escapefirekeystone.eventbrite.com
Sponsored by Keystone Health, Aligning Forces for Quality - South Central PA and Wilson College
Harrisburg, PA - https://escapefirehamilton.eventbrite.com
Sponsored by Hamilton Health Center, Aligning Forces for Quality - South Central PA and Harrisburg University of Science and Technology