A client recently sent in a presentation that she could not edit and she did not know what to do. The file in question was in what is known as PowerPoint Show format. All we had to do was save the file in the correct format. The question then became what is PowerPoint Show format and how did we convert it?
Did you know?
If you need to select the entire content (slides or text/
objects) of a presentation, using the CTRL+A shortcut can save you a tremendous amount of time. Click on CTRL+A when you are in Slide View in order to select all objects on the slide. Click on CTRL+A in Slide Sorter View if you wish to select all slides, and finally clicking on CTRL+A in the Outline Tab will select all the text. This shortcut works in both PowerPoint 2007 and 2010.
What is a PowerPoint Show?
PowerPoint Show is basically a presentation that is programmed to automatically launch in Slide Show mode. A PowerPoint Show file is convenient for two reasons:
- It allows the presenter to skip the step of opening the file in PowerPoint, then having to find the Slide Show icon to play the presentation in full screen mode. This saves some set-up time.
- PowerPoint Show file is excellent for automated and looping presentations. This type of file becomes the ideal visual aid at booths or kiosks, when and where the content is self-explanatory. Controls are often disabled so that audience members do not inadvertently make changes to the presentation.
Click here if you would like assistance with building a self-running presentation.
Changing a PowerPoint Show File to a
Working PowerPoint Presentation
It is very simple to differentiate between a PowerPoint Show file and an editable PowerPoint presentation. A PowerPoint Show file extension ends by .ppsx in PowerPoint 2007 or 2010 and .pps in PowerPoint 2003 or earlier versions. An editable PowerPoint presentation has the file extension .pptx in PowerPoint 2007 or 2010, and .ppt in PowerPoint 2003 or earlier.
There are two methods to change a PowerPoint Show file back to its editable PowerPoint format.
- Open your PowerPoint software
- Click on the Microsoft Office Button (in PPT 2007) or the File Button (in PPT 2010) and
- Navigate to your PowerPoint Show file
- Edit the presentation to your needs
- Click on the Windows Button (in PPT 2007) or the File Button (in PPT 2010) and choose
Save As then PowerPoint Presentation
- To save the presentation as a PowerPoint Show file, choose Save As then