WVLT interview about the beginning of government shutdown's impact on the county 4 -
The Blount Partnership is working very hard to support and encourage positive tourism activity for the Townsend/Walland area during the current government shutdown. We want to keep you up-to-date on our activities. We've instituted an "Open for Business" campaign utilizing some of the best resources we have available. Thus far, we've launched this campaign through social media, press releases, illustrations and web site.
Please help us spread the message we're "Open for Business" by following the message throughout blog (http://www.blountcountysmokies.com/), Facebook (Peaceful Side of the Smokies), Twitter (@peacefulsmokies) and hashtag #OpenForBusiness.
Here's just a quick snapshot of what we did:
* Reached out to all accommodations, restaurants and attractions in the Townsend/Walland area asking for their comments to use in communications.
* Developed a series of illustrations that demonstrate we're "open for business."
* A 14-day plan for daily press releases is in the works beginning with a message on camping, hiking, attractions, lodging, upcoming events and the Partnership's approach to promoting tourism. The first one was released today regarding the availability of camping in the area.
* Launched the blog to use as a central area of communication for up-to-date information. http://www.blountcountysmokies.com/
* Sent daily updates to our stakeholders to engage their input, get their comments/concerns addressed from a local level and they are responding.
* Messaged to group travel planners who may have had tours booked to Cades Cove letting them know than can call us for alternative itineraries.
* Messaged to the 38 brides who were planning to be married in the park that we have alternative locations for them in the Townsend/Walland area.
* Messaged to our industry partners at the regional and national level of our message "we open for business." Southeast Tourism Society - National Tour Association, group travel associations 10-12 -
Culinary FAM tour with 10 national writers for four days touring the airport, Heritage Center, Chocolate Bar, Dancing Bear Lodge & Restaurant, Firefly Café, Wood-N-Strings, Full Service BBQ, Pop Korns Gourmet Popcorn, KupKake Katie's, The Market, Pastry & Cake Studio, Smoky Mountain Brewery, RJ's Courtyard, Bush's Beans, Hatfield & McCoy's Dinner Theater, Vienna Coffee House, Ruby Tuesday Cooking Class, Wines of the South People's Choice Awards. 18 -
Sponsored Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center home tour 22 -
Hosted State of Education briefing for Blount County with Dr. Brian Bell, Stephanie Thompson and Rob Britt as they discussed each school system in the county. More than 40 people attended this event held at the Chamber. 23 -
Hosted second BTAP class at the Blount County Library with 30 attendees. 24 -
Hosted Randy Boyd and the Drive to 55 seminar as part of Gov. Haslam's workforce development. Nearly 40 people attended. Ribbon Cutting:
Vienna Coffee House 10/4, American Family Care 10/9, LeConte Realty Townsend