January TSPE Dallas Chapter Meeting
Thursday, January 16th, 2014
Maggiano's Little Italy
205 Northpark Center Dallas, TX 75225
11:30 - 11:55 am - Registration
12:00 - 1:00 pm - Lunch/Speaker
Click Here to Make a Reservation
(Online registrations will close on Tuesday, January 14th at 5 p.m.)
**We will have a special raffle for those who PRE-PAY online!!**
Tricia Hatley, P.E., ENV SP, LEED AP BD+C
President of TSPE (through June 2014)
Vice President at Urban Planning + Design
About the Speaker:
Ms. Hatley is the Texas Society of Professional Engineers State President through June 2014. In her role as President of the organization, she leads the Board of Directors and Executive Committee in implementation of TSPE's strategic plan. Her focus as President Elect and now President, has been on member engagement through active and meaningful committees. She is particularly interested in growing our young engineer membership while retaining our core base. Ms. Hatley has been a TSPE member since 1993 and has served in a variety of leadership roles with the Preston Trail Chapter and at the state level.
Ms. Hatley is a Vice President at Freese and Nichols leading and managing the firm's Urban Planning + Design Group. As a Senior Project Manager, she leads large teams for major projects involving transportation planning, highway and urban roadway design, structural design, drainage analyses and capital improvements planning, among other components and services. Her diverse transportation background ranges from cost-effective, context-sensitive downtown redevelopment and hike-and-bike trails to urban roadway expansions and large-scale, regional thoroughfare projects. Ms. Hatley is also a LEED AP and Envision Sustainability Professional with proven success in assisting clients in the development of sustainable project alternatives.
"Courageous Leadership - Translating Engineering Skills to Public Service"
Bennett Ratliff, P.E.
President at Ratliff Group, LLC
Republican - Texas House District 115
About the Speaker:
- Elected to Represent District 115 in the Texas House of Representatives in November 2012 from a field of seven candidates
- Appointed to the influential Appropriations and Public Education Committees
- Identified as the Freshman member "Most Likely to Succeed" by Texas Monthly
- Named one of the Most Influential Freshmen and Listed near the Top of the "Freshman Power Chart" by Capitol Inside
- Named one of the "Best of Dallas-Area's Freshman Class in Texas House" by the Dallas Morning News.
- Appointed by Speaker Straus to represent Texas at the National Conference of State Legislators Symposium for Emerging Leaders
- Named "Champion of Free Enterprise" by Texas Association of Business
- Named to the "Legislative Honor Roll" by the Texas PTA
- Named "Lone Star Conservative Leader" by the Texas Conservative Roundtable
- Named Legislative "Champion" by the Texas Retired Teachers' Association
- Named an "'A' Rated Conservative" by the Texas Future Business Alliance
- Started the 83rd Legislative Session with 18 priorities - 15 of the issues were sent to the Governor, the best record of any freshman legislator
- 52 years old; Homeowner and Small Business Owner in Coppell, Texas
- Three-term Coppell School Board Trustee 2003-2012, former Vice-President of CISD Board of Trustees
- Lifelong Republican; Three time Republican State Convention Delegate
- Bennett & his wife, Beccy, married 29 years (Beccy is a former Coppell ISD teacher)
- Father of three adult children (all graduates of Coppell ISD)
- Founded local Civil Engineering Firm, The Ratliff Group, LLC, in 2002
- Recipient of Young Engineer Award for Professional Achievement
- Graduate of University of Texas (B.S. Civil Engineering)
- Family attends Irving Bible Church
- Avid outdoorsman and NRA Member - Earned an "A" Rating from the NRA and Texas State Rifle Association for the 2012 Election
- Active volunteer for youth disabilities groups: Special Olympics & Ironman for Angels
- Active Sponsor and Mentor of Coppell High School Solar Car Team and Engineering Academy
- Founding Member of the Coppell Education Foundation, Board Member 2000-Present, Grant Committee Chairman 2008-2012
- Has completed five Marathons, the Hotter-n-Hell 100 Mile Bike Race, and an Iron Man Triathlon
Cost for the Lunch:
The cost for this lunch is $25 for members, $30 for non-members, and $20 for public agency officials. For reservations made after the preceding Monday (January 13th), the cost for breakfast will be $30 for members, $35 for non-members, and $25 for public agency officials. Please make any cancellations at least 24 hours prior to the meeting. If you RSVP and you do not cancel in time, you will be charged for the meal, because TSPE has to pay for all the meals we RSVP for.
I hope you all have enjoyed the holidays with family and friends. As we begin 2014, I would like to mention the importance of being involved with our community, our government and our fellow colleagues. I believe that TSPE and it's founding societies provide more than a professional service to the public with their work but have also shown their involvement in their communities. I am hopeful that this is not a trend, but a way of life shown by the membership in supporting and volunteering for causes that help our fellow man. I would like to thank all the companies and members that contributed to the raffle during our December meeting. We raised over $1600 for the North Texas Food Bank.
On January 16th we will be having our next luncheon meeting. We have a great program for the month of January. Trish Hatley (TSPE State President) and State Representative Bennett Ratliff will be presenting topics on TSPE, leadership and public service.
With the end of January around the corner, we are also preparing for our annual Engineer's Week celebration in February. We have approximately 440 guests registered for Engineer's Week and we have about 65% of our revenue goal met for this event. You can still sponsor and register for this event, go to: www.tspeengineersweek.com for more information. In December we had our sponsor appreciation reception at the home of David and Jean Dean. In attendance were our honorary co-chair Dr. Elba Garcia and one of our event chairs, Ms. Alberta Blair, Director of Public Works for Dallas County. Also joining us that evening was Ms. Jill Jordan, Assistant City Manager for Dallas. Our platinum, gold and table sponsors joined us for the event. Thank you all for attending and supporting TSPE.
MATHCOUNTS is coming up! February 8th at SMU. If you are interested in volunteering please contact Cynthia Fields email@example.com. I will be volunteering for this event, hope to see you all there.
If you have questions about how you can be become involved with our TSPE Dallas Chapter, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me at (214) 237-1196. You can also log on to our web page www.dallastspe.com for additional details on upcoming events.
We are also on Facebook (TSPE-Dallas Chapter, http://www.facebook.com/TSPEdallas )
Volunteer Opportunity with NTFB
North Texas Food Bank
TSPE Volunteer Day - 15-20 Volunteers Needed!
Saturday, January 18th, 2013
9:00am to 11:30am
Through our December 2013 Raffle, we raised over $1,600 to give to the North Texas Food Bank to help fight hunger in North Texas. Last May, we had the incredible opportunity to volunteer at the North Texas Food Bank helping sort food items for those in need.
We've been given the opportunity to volunteer again - join us on Saturday, January 18th, from 9-11:30a.m. at the North Texas Food Bank (4500 S Cockrell Hill Rd, Dallas, TX 75236) as we take our fight against hunger one step further. This will also be a great opportunity to network with fellow TSPE Dallas Members!
If you are interested, please contact Marc Sandhu at email@example.com to sign up.
We are only allowed to have 20 volunteers, so the spots will be first come, first serve. Thanks everyone!
Event Photos & Info
Click the image above to see photos from past events and to find information about upcoming events on the TSPE Dallas Chapter Facebook page.
January 16, 2014
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Joe Garcia, PE
Caleb Thornhill, PE
Terry Preuninger, PE
Jessica Baker, PE
Monica Kent, PE
Jenny LaFoy, PE
Jack Young, PE
Alt. State Director
Brad Bernhard, PE
Ignacio Herrera, PE
Adriana Vandercook, PE
Miles Bullion, EIT
Marc Sandhu, PE
Jake Lesue, PE
FIND US ON SOCIAL MEDIA!!