Movies in the Park
Bring your beach chairs and blankets
for family-friendly movies on
summer at the
Conference & Recreation Center,
14075 Frederick St.
Movies start at sundown.
Space is limited, join us early to
ensure your seat.
For more information contact:
Parks & Community Services at 413.3280.
It's that time of year to dress Hawaiian style.
Thursday, August 16
Moreno Valley Senior Center
25075 Fir Ave.
CPR (1 Day)
Sudden cardiac arrest can happen to anyone, anywhre, anytime. Without quick intervention by someone who knows CPR, the chance of survivial is less than 5%. This is an AHA CPR and first aid class. Participants will be asked to pay an addional $20 materials fee on the day of the class. *Site: Conference and Recreation Center.
To enroll go to, www.moval.org or call 951.413.3280 for more information
Saturday, August 18
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Ages 12 & Older
Fees: $45 (residents)
Commmunity Calendar Event
Does your club or
community group have a family-friendly event
We want to help you
Click here to list
your event on
our Community Calendar.
Here's a glimpse at some fun things to do
in-and-around Moreno Valley this month.
Wednesday Summer Concerts
at the Moreno Valley Mall
August 1: Paperback Writer,
The Beatles Experience
August 8: A Rockin' Tribute To The King!
Starring Scot Bruce
August 15: Orange Colored Sky,
Classic Surf Music
August 22: Brian Lynn Jones
and the Misfit Cowboys
August 29: The Hawaiian Experience
Free Concerts are held weekly at 7 p.m.
in the Amphitheater outside the Food Court.
Seating is limited.
Moreno Valley Unified School District and Val Verde Unified School District
Wednesday, August 15, 2012
March Air Museum
Behind the Scenes Restorations Hangar Tour
1:30 p.m. every Saturday
March Field Air Museum
22550 Van Buren Blvd.
"Easel on Down" Art in the Park
Artists are invited to display their work and paint in the park. Bring 2 to 5 completed
works of art for the public to view. Who knows, you might gain a few admirers.
Come and enjoy the ambiance and meet other artists. Bring your easel, table, art supplies, chair, and perhaps enjoy a picnic lunch.
Saturday, August 11, 2012
10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
For more information contact
Commissioner Lauretta R. Phillips at
247.4848 or email email@example.com
or Moreno Valley Parks and
Community Services at 951.413.3280.
2012 State of the City Luncheon
Thursday, August 23, 2012
11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Moreno Valley Conference & Recreation Center, 14075 Frederick Street
Cost: $30 per person (members)
$55 per person (non-members)
R.S.V.P. by contacting the Chamber office
at (951) 697.4404 or firstname.lastname@example.org
by August 8, 2012.
Start of Fall Quarter 2012
Moreno Valley College
Monday, August 27, 2012
Click here to link to the
Community Calendar and to view
links to more event information
Keep Cool! Protect Your Health
The Moreno Valley Fire Department would like to encourage you to stay cool this summer and avoid heat related medical emergencies by following these tips:
- Drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat or use an umbrella for shade.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose clothing.
- Slow down-rest in the shade or a cool place when possible.
- Never leave a child, elderly, disabled person, or animal alone in a vehicle.
- Check on your friends and neighbors who are elderly, have medical conditions, or are at higher risk for problems when it is very hot.
- Take a cool shower or bath.
- Turn on your air conditioner when it is hotter than 90˚, visit a friend who has air conditioning, or go someplace cool like a Cool Center, a mall, a library or a senior center.
- If you do not have an air conditioner, use a fan, make sure your windows are open, or visit a Cool Center. The Moreno Valley Senior Center is also a Cool Center.
Click here for more information or call the Summer Energy Crisis Hotline at 1-888-636-8676 Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
or call "2-1-1" 24 hours a day.
The City Clerk's Office is busy preparing for the upcoming election, scheduled to be held on Tuesday, November 6, 2012.
This year, three City Council seats are eligible: Districts 1, 3 and 5.
The nomination period opens July 16 and ends August 9, 2012.
Each candidate must be nominated by not less than 20 and not more than 30 qualified voters who live and are registered to vote
in the District from which the candidate is nominated.
To qualify as a candidate a person shall be:
· A Citizen of the United States.
· A Qualified Elector of the State of California.
· A registered voter of the City of Moreno Valley at the time of filing nomination papers.
· A resident of the appropriate District at the time nomination papers are issued.
Important Upcoming Dates:
· October 8 - 30, 2012: Applications for Vote-by-Mail Ballots may be submitted in person or by mail.
· October 22, 2012: Last day to register to vote in the November 6, 2012 election.
For additional information regarding the November 6, 2012 General Municipal Election please visit the Riverside County Registrar of Voters website.
Walgreens Distribution Center Donations Feed Homeless Pets
The Animal Shelter recently received a donation of premium dog food from the Walgreen's Distribution Center in Moreno Valley.
Though it continued to be within the expiration timeline for safe consumption, Walgreens' stock rotation guidelines required the disposal of 23 pallets of Purina dog food. Walgreens decided to donate the food to feed Moreno Valley's homeless pets.
Many thanks to Walgreens for their generosity!
Park of the Month
Moreno Valley Continues to Grow
Moreno Valley continues to rank among the fastest growing cities in California!
POPULATION GROWTH: As part of the recent release of the U.S. Census estimates, Moreno Valley's population grew by 2.313% from April 2010 to July 2011, which was the 14th largest percentage increase in the State of California. Nine of the 15 fastest growing cities in the State of California were in Riverside County:
Desert Hot Springs #1
Lake Elsinore #2
Indian Wells #10
La Quinta #13
Moreno Valley #14
Overall, Riverside County's population increased by 2.2% and the State of California grew by 1.2%
PROPERTY VALUE GROWTH: Moreno Valley's average property value also grew - by 1.4% for fiscal year 2012/13 as compared to FY 2011/12.
Moreno Valley's percentage increase of 1.4% was the 2nd highest of 16 cities in Western Riverside County - only outpaced by Eastvale at +3.2%. Other nearby and comparable cities included:
Moreno Valley 1.4%
San Jacinto -2.77%
This increase in property values is great news for Moreno Valley's property owners!
Summer Unpower Hours
are Noon to 6 pm
The hottest part of the day is also the time when energy demand is at its highest - from 12 PM to 6 PM.
Here are simple ways that the City of Moreno Valley and the Community Energy Partnership* encourage you to reduce your energy usage during peak hours to help you save when it counts most:
- Keep the thermostat on your A/C set to 78ºF.
- Use your washer, dryer and dishwasher only during off-peak hours, preferably when they're full.
- Make sure coffee pots, radios and other electronics have been switched off or are unplugged when not in use.
- Turn off your computer screen saver (it wastes power by keeping your computer active).
- Set your computer to turn your monitor off after 10 minutes of nonuse and your hard drive after 20 minutes.
- Devices such as laptops can run on battery power during the day and then be recharged at night. Don't forget to unplug when not charging.
- Not using your oven during warmer temperatures will help your air conditioner work less to cool your home.
- The state of California may issue a Flex Alert - an urgent call to conserve energy immediately. When you hear a Flex Alert, save electricity NOW by turning off unnecessary lights and following any of the tips mentioned here.
Dear CityLink Subscriber,
You are receiving this monthly newsletter because you have either signed up via the City's Web site, www.moval.org, or you have previously submitted your e-mail address to the City of Moreno Valley. Should you wish to unsubscribe, please click on the 'Safe Unsubscribe' icon at the end of this e-mail.