Dear CVNA follower,
Welcome to Cedar Valley Connections
, a newsletter to connect the leaders of the nonprofit sector. We've got a brand new look!
To submit an item for the next newsletter, click on the submit news
page. Please note that only member organizations who have submitted membership applications may post items. The newsletter is published every other Monday (except on holidays).
(formerly the Internship Roundtable)
*Featuring Intern, Job, Career and Volunteer Opportunities*
Monday, March 11, 2013 from 3:45pm-5:00pm
Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center-lobby
WHAT: CVNA and the UNI Nonprofit Leadership Alliance
students are partnering for an opportunity to participate in a career mixer.
WHY: Explore-A-Ganza is an excellent opportunity for non-profit organizations to become familiar with UNI students while providing students a forum to discuss internships, jobs, career & volunteer opportunities with your organization
. Last fall, we had over 60 students participate with the event and expect an even larger number for the Spring semester.
In response to feedback from our Fall event, we've expanded the focus to include all aspects of career development-not just internships anymore.
Registration deadline is
Thursday, March 7, 2013.
Organization profiles will be shared with students ahead of time. The format of the event will consist of "speed interviewing" with 5-6 rounds/rotations. We hope you will join us!
This event, and other CVNA events, is open at no-cost to Cedar Valley Nonprofit Association members. To learn more about the benefits of membership, click here.
Plan to attend the Grant Gurus on Thursday, February 28 at 11:30 a.m in the Philanthropy Center (3rd floor of the US Bank building, 425 Cedar Street in Waterloo). Spend the first 30 minutes of this session talking with Soo Greiman about the
Guernsey Foundation grant opportunities and priorities. After this funder Q&A, plan to spend time networking with all the "gurus" in the room. Discuss recent projects, celebrate new awards, and work together to find solutions for your current grant dilemmas.
The President & CEO, who reports to the Board of Directors, is responsible for the overall day-to-day leadership of the Foundation. Priorities of this position focus on delivering the highest quality donor services while safeguarding the financial sustainability of the organization through prudent business practices. The President & CEO provides leadership in establishing sound strategic and financial goals; in collaborating with other leaders and decision makers in the broader community; in providing the vision to address future challenges and opportunities in the community; in fostering a developmental organizational climate that builds staff competencies and supports professional growth and development; and by representing the Foundation as its key spokesperson and representative.
Applications and nominations are being received by Kittleman & Associates, LLC. To apply, please send a current resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the Foundation, click HERE
Cedar Valley Preschool and Child Care Center
Cedar Valley Preschool and Child Care Center requires a bookkeeper with experience in the following: Quickbooks, Excel, Word, payroll, Paypal, and multiple billing processes. It is a part-time (15-20 hours per week) position currently available.
To be considered, please submit a resume to email@example.com by 2/25/13.
UNI celebrates Black History Month
The University of Northern Iowa celebrates and welcomes students of all ethnic backgrounds. Throughout the year, university student organizations and departments celebrate a number of various diversity-related events. During February, UNI hosts several events in honor of Black History Month.
- African-American Read-In Thursday, Feb. 21 - UNI's Read-In is a part of the larger 24th Annual National African-American Read-In. First-grade students from the Greater Cedar Valley area will visit UNI for a variety of literary and educational events including storytelling, poetry, dance, singing and more.
International Pretty Brown Girl Day, Saturday, Feb. 23
- during the African-American Read-In, UNI will host Sheri Crawley, CEO of Pretty Brown Girls, an organization committed to boosting self-esteem among all girls of color. She will celebrate International Pretty Brown Girl Day with kindergarten through eighth-grade students in UNI's Shining Stars Girls
- 2nd Annual Conference on African-American Children and Families, Thursday, Feb. 21 and Friday, Feb. 22 - designed for educators, administrators, childcare providers, law enforcement, policy makers, social workers, health professionals, business leaders and anyone committed to improving the lives of children. This conference will promote a better understanding of culture, ethnicity, race, socioeconomic status and the needs of African-American children and families.
Join Us! The YWCA's Seventh Annual Women of Persimmon Luncheon
During the luncheon, we will recognize and honor outstanding women, businesses and organizations in the Cedar Valley.
Tickets to the luncheon are only $35 or a table of eight can be purchased for $250 by calling the YWCA at 234-7589.
RSVPs should be made by March 22.
| Black Hawk Children's Theatre presents
A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Join us for a romp in the forest as the world of the fairies collides with the mortal world in this adaptation of Shakespeare's timeless classic.
February 22 at 7pm, 23rd and 24th at 2pm. Tickets are $10. Please call 319.291.4494 for more info.
|WELCOME NEW MEMBERS|
CVNA would like to welcome:
Wartburg recently joined as a Partner.
Coordinator, Cedar Valley Nonprofit Association
|CVNA Meeting Dates|
CVNA is pleased to announce the topics of our upcoming education events for the year ahead:
- April 4, 2013 - Social Media/Communications
- June 6, 2013 - Financial/Business Planning
- August 1, 2013 - Innovation
- October 3, 2013 - Board Development/Governance
- December 5, 2013 - Legislative Forum
More information about times and location will follow.