NO JUNE MEETING FOR YCLA
Watch for the July newsletter and be thinking about running for office!
Election of new officers will be at July 16 meeting!
NOTE FROM ALEX
May 21, 2014
We are excited about the months ahead in the Visit Billings office. In June, a busy month for sports at Montana’s Trailhead, we look forward to hosting the AAU Grand Nationals Wrestling Tournament, the Heart and Sole Run, and the Montana State Cup Soccer Tournament, to name a few. We also look forward to the Not In Our Town conference.
In July, the Catholic Daughters of the Americas will host their 2014 Annual Convention with as many as 700 attendees. This convention will take place at the Holiday Inn Grand Montana with main overflow at the Billings Hotel and Convention Center. What an amazing group of people to work with. They are excited about being in Billings and most are staying for several days on either end of the conference to experience Billings, Southeast Montana and of course, Yellowstone and beyond. July also brings with it the Regional Northern Classic Soccer Tournament, the Montana Harley Owners Group Rally, SOAKED, the Big Sky State Games and Tim McGraw. And, August, well, we love you August with MontanaFair and the Magic City Blues Festival. Of course, this is the short list and doesn’t include Visit Billings leisure recruitment efforts in national publications, the Chicago transit advertising to promote the seasonal direct flight from CHI to BIL, and regional drive campaigns.
One great item to keep in mind as we officially head into the high season, we have an airport with a newly paved runway that will be open for business 24/7 this summer.
Thank you for all you do for tourism.
HOTEL WATCH IN BILLINGS!
The sun is out, and building is progressing fast! Here are photos taken within the last 2 days of properties under construction . There continue to be 8-11 new hotels rumored, planned, or in construction –1, Ledgestone completed and opened in March, and 5 more in serious construction at this time. Please check the YCLA website http://www.yellowstonecountylodgingassociation.com/hotelwatch.html for updates between newsletters. And, as always … we will strive to keep you up to date via our research into the status of new hotels, being built or rumored, in the Billings/Yellowstone County area. Resources are Billings Gazette, Big Sky EDA, YCLA member properties, and Cynroc photography.:
- Homewood Suites –photo June 16, 2014
- Status: Extensive siding work visible. A big property!
- General: a Hilton extended-stay hotel, 4-story, 110 rooms with full kitchens, hot breakfast and light dinners served with beer or wine Monday through Thursday. Pool, hot tub, fitness room, sport court/billiards room, 2 outdoor patios. Erck Hotel group of Missoula.
- Location: 3120 Ember Lane, off Zoo Drive and Interstate 90, between the Hampton Inn & Suites and The Big Horn Resort.
- Completion: Opening date set July 1, 2014 at a cost of $13-14 million
- Rates: Winter room rates will be approximately $130 and rise to $150
- TownePlace Suites –photo June 16, 2014
- Status: Foundation firm, putting up framework.
- General: a Residence by Marriott, extended-stay hotel, 94 rooms, 4 stories
- Location: 2480 Grant Road, behind Home Depot, directly across from the Billings Hilton Garden Inn
- Completion: Originally estimated fall 2014 – might be an ambitious date
- Rates: listed in all research as “mid-price”
- Holiday Inn Express – photo June 16, 2014
- Status: All floors framed in, working on the outside.
- General: 89 rooms, $8.4 million, No specific info at this time. Sign shows 5-story hotel.
- Location: 3431 Ember Lane, across from the Hampton Inn & Suites and the new Homewood Suites, in front of the Rib & Chop House on Ember Lane off Zoo Drive and Interstate 90.
- Completion: sign states 2014
- Rates: $131 per night (per website, other HIExpress in Billings)
- LaQuinta –photo June 15, 2014
- Status: Really looking like a LaQuinta. Finishing outside
- General: Four story, 85 rooms. Their “new urban design – stucco and stone. A Midwest Ventures Kelly Inn property
- Location: Frontage Road next to Cracker Barrel Restaurant
- Completion: No date known at this time, but progress is rapid.
- Rates: No info at this time.
- My Place Hotel –photo June 15, 2014
- Status: Going up fast, now the roof is done, putting on siding
- General: 64 rooms
- Location: 4770 King Ave. E., between Burger King and Cabela’s
EVENTS TO PLAN ON
MetraPark – Great events likely to bring out-of-town guests to Billings!
- Energy Exposition – June 25 – 26
- Magic City Rollers – June 28
- Tim McGraw in Concert – July 29
- Montana Fair – Aug 8-16
- Chris Young & Danielle Bradbery – Aug 8
- Train w/Striking Matches – Aug 9
- Pop Evil & Adelitas Way – Aug 10
- Supercross – Aug 12
- Yellowstone River Roundup PRCA Rodeo – Aug 14-16
- Burn the Point Car Show – Aug 30
- Five Finger Death Punch & Volbeat in Concert – Sept 17
- Billings Market Association (Private Show) – Sept 19 – 21
- Color Me Rad 5K – Aug 20
- Living Proof Live with Beth Moore – Oct 24-25
WHAT VISIT BILLINGS IS DOING FOR US!
Lots of positive action from Alex and our Visit Billings team! Please click here to view booked and pending events – dates, room nights, and more.
Please click here for the full attendee packet.
Also, the full report can always be found on this page of the VisitBillings website http://www.visitbillings.com/tbid.php