DEQ's Pollution Prevention Technical Assistance Site Program
The Office of Pollution Prevention (OPP) conducts free pollution prevention site assessments. These visits are non-regulatory and multimedia. While OPP will visit any facility that requests assistance, the assessments are typically part of the VEEP E3 or E4 application process. The visit involves OPP staff coming on-site and reviewing facility operations and processes and identifying possible source reduction opportunities, such as energy efficiency, water conservation, materials reduction and waste minimization. Over the years, OPP staff has conducted over
200 such visits. Recent visits include Alexandria Renew Enterprises (pictured at left), Fort AP Hill, Howmet Castings, the City of Roanoke Public Works Service Center, the Albemarle County Service Authority, and seven Luck Stone plants (the Leesburg Plant is pictured above). If you are interested in having an OPP site visit, contact Keith Boisvert at (804) 698-4225.
Summer 2013: A Great Time to Travel Virginia Green!
Virginia Green participants have made voluntary commitments to reduce their impacts on the environment. Are you ready to plan your green vacation? Visit virginiagreentravel.org to find Virginia Green hotels, restaurants, wineries, attractions and events all around the Commonwealth.
VEEP Staff Update
In April, Morgan Goodman joined the Office of Pollution Prevention. Morgan has a Bachelor's degree from Roger Williams University in Rhode Island in Marine Biology and Political Science and a Master's degree in Environmental and Natural Resource Policy from George Washington University. Prior to coming to DEQ, Morgan worked for the US Drug Enforcement Administration, overseeing implementation of the agency's EMS. Welcome Morgan!
New Members and Changes in VEEP Program Level
- Blacksburg-VPI Sanitation Authority (E4 Renewal)
- City of Newport News - Vehicle and Equipment Services (E2)
- Continental Automotive Systems, US (E3 Renewal)
- Hanover County Solid Waste Convenience Centers (6) (E2)
- Hanover County Transfer Station & Composting Center (E2 Renewal)
- Luck Stone:
- Leesburg (E3)
- Powhatan (E3)
- Spotsylvania (E3)
- MillerCoors Shenandoah Brewery (E3 Renewal)
- Prince William County:
- Department of Parks & Recreation (13) (E2 Renewal)
- Library Services (E2)
- Southeastern Container, Inc. (E2 Renewal)
- US Army Fort AP Hill (E4)
- US Dept of Transportation Maritime Administration - James River Reserve Fleet (E3 Renewal)
- VA Dept of Corrections:
- Deep Meadow Correctional Center (E2 Renewal)
- Keen Mountain Correctional Center (E2 Renewal)
- Sussex I and Sussex II State Prisons (E2 Renewal)
Space is limited; sign up soon!
Plan to attend the VEEP Workshop in Richmond next month. The free one-day session will be held at DEQ's Central Office and will include program updates, facility success stories, and partnering ideas. Contact Sharon Baxter with any questions.