February 5, 2014

ALL-POWERFUL ICE!
                                                                                                                              Photo - BCaron
Once ice settles around the piles holding up the docks, it can lift the pile many feet and cause a lot of damage to the dock.   The piles for these finger docks will have to be pounded back down with the pile driver in the spring.
In This Issue
Upcoming ABYC Events
VC-Member Services
All LORC Participants
Crane Committee Job Jar Postings
2013 Cruising Awards
Toonie Thursday - Diane Reid
LYRA Fundraising Dinner
Valentine's Night
Pan Am Games Positions
First Aid course coming
LYRA J80 Speed Clinic

Upcoming ABYC Events

Friday - Fine Dining

Wednesday - Wings Night

___________________________

13  Thursday - Toonie Thursday (Diane Reid

14  Friday - Valentine's Day Party (Ed Smith)

20  Thursday - Personal Injury Insurance & Liability

28  Friday - Fine Dining with APYC Band

Friday - Fine Dining

Wednesday - Wings Night

___________________________

13  Thursday - Toonie Thursday (Charles Ulmer - UK Sailmakers)

14  Friday - Fine Dining (Meridith Cutting

22  Saturday - Spring Fling

29  Saturday - LYRA Fundraising Dinner (Steve Killing)

   VC-Member Services
   Mike Macdonald

Fellow Members

Well the Budget Meeting sure was a real barn burner!  When the budget vote passed in five minutes I turned to Paul Brennan and asked if we had passed a budget that fast and his response was "it seems so!".  Definitely not like in some years past where the meeting would run to 11pm.

As I stated in the meeting one of our issues was lack of outside functions or "catering" revenue.  I would like the membership to know that we are open for business for functions.  In the next couple of weeks we will have sample catering menus and rental rates posted on the website.  We do have some limitations on when we have outside functions such as Friday night's, race nights and during Regatta's.  Available are the main floor (excluding Duffy's), the Point (Bay Belle Park) and the main patio.

We should be able to start using the new entrance in the next week.  The inside painting is now complete, the lights and heater will be installed shortly.  We will be walking on plywood to the doors until the weather turns and we can get the paving stones installed.

On Job Jar I have opened up under LYRA Food & Beverage (projects) a place to sign up for helping out during the LYRA regatta.  Planning for LYRA is going well, we have raised half of our budget to date. Speaking of which don't forget to get your tickets for the Fundraising Dinner on March 29th with special guest speaker designer Steve Killing.  I am sure most of us have sailed on a boat that he had a hand in designing.

Mike Macdonald

All LORC participants
- Gordon Burt, ABYC LORC Representative

LORC has joined with the IRC Association to hold a joint Awards Night on Wednesday February 12, at Port Credit Yacht Club.

The evening starts at 7pm, finger food and drinks.  Join your fellow skippers and crews in celebrating the2013 season and begin to look ahead to 2014!

Note:  PCYC accepts Visa or Mastercard only, no cash.

Crane Committee Job Jar postings
- Anthony Mirvish, Chair, Crane Committee

For the next week or so, I will be revising the organization and posting of jobs related to the Crane Committee in the Job Jar on the Club's website.  I expect to complete this exercise by February 14.  Please do not respond to any open jobs related to the Crane Committee during that period without first e-mailing me.  Hopefully, this will eliminate any confusion related to these jobs.

As a general item of information, certain Crane Committee jobs (e.g. organizing the crane crews) are effectively assigned to individual members and cannot be done by anyone else.  I will include information to this effect in the Job Jar description and e-mail the appropriate members to ensure they sign-up for those jobs (and can record their time correctly going forward).

I'd also like to thank Michelle Wolfson for her help and thorough explanation of many features of the Job Jar.
2013 Cruising Awards

A friendly crowd of cruisers gathered to revisit the 2013 cruising season and to receive the cruising awards on Friday evening, January 24th.

21 flags were awarded for cruising attendance with eleven boats attending 5 or more cruises.
5 flags were awarded to cruisers clocking 500 - 999 nm and one flag was awarded to an intrepid cruiser with more than 1000 nm on Lake Ontario (Amarone II (Bruce Hannah & Claude Tremblay)).

Amarone II (Bruce Hannah & Claude Tremblay)
 was the big trophy winner for the year going home with The Harbourmaster's Hat Trophy, The Ports of Call Trophy and The Jack Shirt Trophy.

The Hans Ballman Trophy was awarded to Satori (Hazel Wood and Dan Gregory), the Ed Wilson Trophy was awarded to Jester (Colin Andrews & Barb Baniuk), and the Ron Mitchell Trophy was awarded to Sunkissed (John Waller & Nina Schmidt).

As always we would like to offer a heartfelt 'Thank you' to the members who volunteer to run the cruises - without you there would be no cruising program.

Debbie and Don

A few of the Cruising Awards presented:

Photos provided by Don Sturgeon & Debbie Dockray
OGOC

LYRA fundraising dinner

- Jim Allen

As previously noted in S2S, we are hosting a LYRA 2014 Fundraising dinner on Saturday March 29th. Tickets are $65 each with $25 going to our LYRA budget.

Tickets can be purchased by contacting the ABYC office at 416-698-4498  ext. 221.

Please be prepared to pay for your tickets by credit card when you call in as this is a special event with part of the proceeds going to the LYRA budget, so this can not be paid through food and beverage on the night of the event as it would all be reflected as food and beverage income.

Valentines

Pan Am Games positions

Subject: Council of Commodores - PANAM Games Update
From: Krystal Smith <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, January 30, 2014 1:46 pm
To: Krystal Smith <[email protected]>

Applications now being accepted for various roles during the PAN AM Games.

Rob Williams
, Chair of Sail Canada's Race Management sub-committee has been appointed as the Principal Race Officer and Mike Milner as the Supervisor Sport Competition for the 2015 Pan Am Games sailing events.  Rob and Mike will be responsible for staffing and training the volunteers for the three race committees.  Interested race officials and race committee members are encouraged to send their contact information and a brief (max one page) outline of their qualifications and experience to David Howard, Rob Williams or Mike Milner.

Peter van Muyden
has been appointed the senior course race officer and in conjunction with Rob will be running a Sail Canada race official training seminar at the Royal Canadian Yacht Club in Toronto on Saturday and Sunday February 15/16 for eligible race officials.  More details will be available shortly at www.sailing.ca.  The organizing committee will be arranging interviews on this weekend (Feb 15/16/17) for those interested in Course Race Officer positions only.

Applications for the following positions are being taken.  Anyone who is interested should send their one page CV to organizing committee chair, David Howard, before that date:
  1. Supervisor Field of Play Services and Equipment;
  2. Supervisor Venue;
  3. Supervisor Administration
  4. Supervisor Volunteers

Krystal Smith
Administrative Assistant
Ontario Sailing
First Aid

Lyra J80 Speed Clinic

Winter Hours Of Operation

Bar

Kitchen

Gas Dock

Monday

              CLOSED

             CLOSED

CLOSED

Tuesday

              CLOSED

             CLOSED

CLOSED

Wednesday

     4:00pm - 11:00pm

     4:00pm - 10:00pm

CLOSED

Thursday

     4:00pm - 9:00pm

     4:00pm - 8:00pm

CLOSED

Friday

     NOON - 11:00pm

     NOON - 10:00pm

CLOSED

Saturday

    11:00am - 9:00pm

     8:00am  - 8:00pm

CLOSED

Sunday & Holidays

    11:00am - 7:00pm

     11:00am -  6:00pm

CLOSED

 ABYC Office Hours:  8:30am - 5:00pm (Monday - Friday)
For Dining Room Reservations call 416-698-4498 Ext 222 or email [email protected]
Ashbridge's Bay Yacht Club
30 Ashbridge's Bay Park Road, Toronto, Ontario M4L 3W6
Tel. 416-698-4498   Fax 416-698-5760
www.abyc.on.ca            Email [email protected]            Twitter @ABYCToronto
  ABYC Facebook Page           Jr. Race Team Facebook Page
Mobile Devices:  Ship2Shore is formatted for Desktop and Laptop computer screens.  If you are receiving this newsletter on a mobile device, the pages may not display properly on the smaller screen.  The newsletter may also be truncated.
Submitting Articles for Ship2Shore
- Ship2Shore is scheduled to go out Wednesday morning of each week.

- The deadline for submitting articles or Ads is Noon (1200 hr.) on Tuesday(Ads run for a maximum of 2 weeks)

- Send Articles to [email protected] and mark "For Ship2Shore" OR "For S2S".
- Photographs or questions & comments regarding Ship2Shore should be sent to [email protected]

Ship2Shore Subscription Information
- To Subscribe to Ship2Shore, goto http://www.abyc.on.ca and sign up where indicated on the lower left side of the
   web page or contact the Ship2Shore Editors at [email protected].
- To Unsubscribe, click on the "Safe Unsubscribe" link below this box.