Plan to participate in February's Mayor Education Summit Community Conversations
Today, I am pleased to announce a series of community conversations during which citizens will have the opportunity to discuss the reform scenarios that emerged from my Education Summit.
The community conversations represent Phase II of the Mayor's Education Summit, which began in November with a two-day conference attended by 100 community and civic leaders and with presentations by seven leading education experts. During the Summit, participants developed preliminary scenarios that identified ways to improve student performance.
The scenarios are:
- World-class leadership: teachers and principals;
- Community engagement and commitment;
- Set great expectations for student success; and
- Expand choice and opportunity for all.
Participants in the six February community conversations will discuss the approach and steps they think Anchorage should take, including the choices and trade-offs that will be required, in order for Anchorage's schools to become among the nation's best.
I am eager to hear from you about how we can improve our student performance. The November Summit gave us some great ideas, and now it's time to ask for your opinions. I encourage parents, teachers, students, business owners, and indeed, all of you, to get involved in talking about this important issue.
For a quick synopsis of the event, and to see how we plan to move forward, watch this short video:
|Mayor's Education Conference Feb Invitation|
The community conversations will take place on six dates in February. Dates and locations are:
- Wed., Feb. 8, 2012, Bayshore Club House, 3131 Amber Bay Loop, 5:15 p.m. check-in, 5:45 p.m. start
- Thurs., Feb. 9, 2012, Eagle River Lions Club, Mile 1.5 Eagle River Rd., 5:15 p.m. check-in, 5:45 p.m. start
- Sat., Feb. 11, 2012, Spenard Recreation Center, 2020 W. 48th Ave., 9:30 a.m. check-in, 9:45 a.m. start
- Wed., Feb. 15, 2012, Alaska Native Heritage Center, 8800 Heritage Center Dr., 5:15 p.m. check-in, 5:45 p.m. start
- Thurs., Feb. 16, 2012, Campbell Creek Science Center, 5600 Science Center Dr., 5:15 p.m. check-in, 5:45 p.m. start
- Wed., Feb. 22, 2012, Anchorage Senior and Activity Center, 1300 E. 19th Ave, 5:15 p.m. check-in. 5:45 p.m. start.
All community conversations are three hours in duration. For evening sessions, a light meal is provided; for the morning session, coffee and snacks are provided.
You can register for the community conversation of your choice online at www.muni.org/educationsummit. Each session is limited to 100 participants.
This event is funded by our generous sponsors and community partners:
ExxonMobil - Alaska Communications - Alaska USA Federal Credit Union - BP Alaska - ConocoPhillips - GCI - Gillam Foundation - Providence Hospital - Shell - Alaska Airlines - AT&T - Wells Fargo - Verizon - The Cuddy Family, four generations of teachers - Northrim Bank - Alaska Regional Hospital - Lynden - Carlile Transportation Systems - Center for Alaska Education Policy Research, ISER
Alaska Pacific University - Anchorage School District - Anchorage Schools Foundation, a fund of the Alaska Community Foundation - Atwood Foundation - Rasmuson Foundation - University of Alaska Anchorage
|Community Conversation Dates: |February 8, 5:45 p.m. February 9, 5:45 p.m.
February 11, 9:45 a.m.
February 15, 5:45 p.m.
February 16, 5:45 p.m.