Special Needs Planning
Special Needs Financial Planning Report July 2010
In This Issue
Guardianship & Less Restrictive Alternatives
Book Review: Legal Planning for Special Needs in Massachusetts
The Special Needs Planning Guide
Upcoming Events
Looking for Speakers?
Investment Tools
Dear Friend,

This 4th of July, we celebrate years of advocacy efforts for individuals with disabilities and their support for an independent life. Pioneering parents have brought us so far in this movement, and yet we still have more hills to climb. Every family has a unique sense of what "independence" means for their family member with special needs.

Our families have been gearing up for typical summer activities and vacations with our children - and it is all fun stuff. Then there are the not-so-typical summer events in our families that make us "special".

Even though John's son James has his Individual Education Plan (IEP) set for the fall, Cindy is gearing up for her brother Ron's Individual Service Plan (ISP), meeting with their parents, residential staff members and service coordinator.

In John's family, when James turned age 18, his independence and ability to make sound decisions had to be considered. In Cindy's family, Independence Day is all about Ron's moving into his own supported apartment almost 5 years ago. Now that's something to celebrate!

We thought it timely to talk about what independence means to an individual with special needs and to the parents. In this spirit, we explore guardianship and alternatives to guardianship for you to consider in this issue of our newsletter.

Once again we hope you enjoy this issue of the Special Needs Financial Planning Report. We welcome your questions and suggestions for future issues. Feel free to contact us at info@specialneedsplanning.com.

Haddad signatureNadworny signature
Cynthia Haddad CFP & John Nadworny CFP, ChFC
Guardianship is a legal means of protecting children and "incompetent adults" (in legal terms, adults who cannot take care of themselves, make decisions that are in their own best interest, or handle their assets due to a physical or mental disability).  When the court determines that a person is incapable of handling either their personal or financial affairs a guardian will be appointed.

The subject of guardianship for an adult child with disabilities is of concern to most parents. Parents of children with severe disabilities often assume that they can continue to be their adult child's legal guardian during the child's entire life.

Although it may be obvious to a parent that a child does not have the capacity to make informed decisions, legally an adult is presumed competent unless otherwise determined to be incompetent after a competency proceeding. Once an individual reaches the age of 18, the parent is no longer the individual's legal guardian. Parents need to explore legal options available to protect their child from unscrupulous individuals who may exploit their child's inability to make informed choices.

Making the decision to seek the appointment of a guardian is a complicated issue. A petition for guardianship should not be filed automatically simply because a child has reached the age of 18. Parents, or other potential guardians, must carefully consider the person's individual circumstances, including strengths and weaknesses, needs, and best interests, before deciding to seek guardianship.

If an individual with a disability is capable of making some but not all decisions, one or more of the alternatives to guardianship discussed here should be considered. These alternatives to guardianship are listed from least restrictive to most restrictive:

1. A joint bank account can be created to prevent rash expenditures. Arrangements can be made with most banks for benefits checks, such as Social Security or SSI payments, to be sent directly to the bank for deposit. (Remember to keep this account balance below $2,000.)

2. A representative payee can be named to manage the funds of a person with a disability who receives benefits checks from Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or the Veterans Benefits Administration. Benefits checks are sent to the representative payee.

3. A durable power of attorney (POA) for property is a legal document that grants one person the legal authority to handle the financial affairs of another. Generally, the use of a POA should be used when the individual with disabilities has the capacity to make basic meaningful decisions and does not require full guardianship but may not be able to make complex financial decisions without support.

4. A durable POA for health care, also known as a health care proxy, should be considered for individuals who are presently capable of making decisions about their health care and wish to anticipate possibly future incompetence.

5. An appointment of advocate and authorization allows a person with a disability to designate an agent to advocate on his or her behalf with administrative agencies such as the state department of cognitive disability, the department of mental health services, or the department of medical assistance.

6. Trusts may be an appropriate alternative to appointment of guardian in some circumstances. A trust is a legal plan for placing funds and other assets in the control of a trustee for the benefit of an individual with a disability - or even for those with no known disability.

7. As mentioned previously, guardianship is an option for persons who, because of mental illness, developmental disability, or physical disability, lack sufficient understanding or capacity to make or communicate responsible decisions concerning their care and financial affairs. Guardians are approved and appointed by the court. Guardianships are also supervised by the court. The guardian provides a report on the status of the individual to the court annually.

This list of alternatives to guardianship is not exhaustive, but worth speaking with an attorney about.

In general, the guardian or conservator is responsible for handling the individual's financial resources, but is not personally financially responsible for them from his or her own resources.

Some things to know when considering guardianship:

a. A guardian of the person is responsible for monitoring the care of the person with disabilities to ensure that the individual is receiving proper care and supervision. The guardian is responsible for decisions regarding most medical care, education, and vocational issues.

b. A guardian of the estate or conservatorship should be considered for a person with disabilities who is unable to manage their finances and have income from sources other than benefit checks, or have other assets and/or property.

c. A guardianship may be limited to certain areas of decision making, such as decisions about medical treatment or medications in order to allow the individual to continue making their own decisions in all other areas.

d. A temporary guardian or conservator may be appointed in an emergency situation when certain decisions must be made immediately.

As with all legal decisions, we suggest you seek legal advice from an attorney who is knowledgeable in disability law in the individual's state of residence.
Legal Planning for Special Needs in Massachusetts
An easy guide book for helping to provide simple answers to complex questions in planning for your child's independence is Attorney Barbara D. Jackins new book:  "Legal Planning for Special Needs in Massachusetts: a Family Guide to SSI, Guardianship, and Estate Planning".  It includes a forward by Theresa M. Varnet, L.C.S.W., J.D., well-known attorney, speaker and author on disability and estate planning issues.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Thank you for reading...we hope you find our newsletter informative!
If you would like to meet with us personally or by phone, we would also like you to know that we offer private consultation services. Feel free to contact us at chaddad@bfa-online.com.

This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax, legal or investment planning advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax adviser and estate planning issues with a qualified disability law attorney.
Now Available on Amazon
Special Needs Planning Guide
We are the co-authors of The Special Needs Planning Guide: How to Prepare for Every Stage of Your Child's Life (Brookes Publishing Co.). In it you will find all of the tools families need to create an effective action plan for finances, and an easy to reference, chronological guide for each stage of your child's life from birth to adulthood. The CD-ROM includes our fill-in-the-blanks Letter of Intent and more.

Upcoming Events
Saturday, July 24, 2010
National Parents of Galactosemic Children (PGC Inc.) Session 1: Special Needs Financial Planning Demystified! Session 2: Focus on Residential Planning. Speaker: Cynthia R. Haddad, CFP. Location: Seraton, Bloomington, Minnesota. Details & registration at web site.

Saturday, November 13, 2010
Building a Home:  A conference on the complex issues families face in securing supportive living arrangements for their loved ones. Location: Brandeis University Campus, Waltham, MA. (Watch for details!)
Looking for Speakers?
Are you are looking for speakers for your organization or group?  If so, call us or visit our website for topics and ideas. 
Join Our Mailing List
Investment Tools

One of the many benefits of our association with LPL Financial as our broker/dealer is that we have access to a dedicated team of unbiased research analysts and market specialists who provide us with macro-economic and quantitative analysis, market views and sector trends.

You can try one of the tools by clicking on the link below.

Current Conditions Index
Securities and Advisory Services offered through LPL Financial, Member FINRA/SIPC.Financial planning services offered through Special Needs Financial Planning, LLC, a Registered Investment Advisor. The LPL Financial registered representatives associated with this site may only discuss and/or transact business with residents of the following states: CA, CT, FL, MA, ME, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WA. Member of Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC). For an explanatory brochure, please visit www.sipc.org.