Volume VI  Number 8               August  2011
One of the changes in the 2010 Standards is the section on Transient Lodging. The new standards got rid of Chapter 9 of the ADAAG which was all about Transient Lodging or hotels, motels etc. In the new Standards, the requirements for hotels are intermingled with the rest of the sections, including the Department of Justice's Regs for Title III.
Transient Lodging according to DOJ CFR 36

The DOJ  included the following facilities in the definition of transient lodging:


1) Social service center establishments. Group homes, halfway houses, shelters, or similar social service center establishments must comply 


2) Housing in Places of education. Dorms and fraternity houses in universities are examples.  Also boarding schools are included.


3) Time shares and condos that are leased out like transient lodging.  Condos and Time Shares privately owned are considered single family housing and are not subject

Section 224  and 806 Transient Lodging and Guest Rooms


In the 2010 ADA Standards the two places which describe how to provide accessible accommodations in transient lodging facilities are Section 224 and Section 806


In Alterations only the altered guest rooms must comply until the minimum number of guest rooms per Table 224.2 is met.





One of the main things that changed is how we determine the minimum number of guest rooms.  In the 1991 Guidelines it had a similar table , but it was not clear how many  rooms for mobility and how many  rooms for communication features were required.  The new table gives you the number of required rooms as well as how many should have roll in showers or could have tubs etc.


Guest rooms with Mobility features should compy with Section 806.2 of the Standards.


Guest rooms with Communication features should comply with 224.4


A minimum number of guest rooms with communication features is found on Table 224.4



The number that you get from the mobility table should be also added to the communication table. 


For example.  If we have 550 Guest rooms.  The number of mobility rooms with roll-in showers are 1% of total and the number of rooms without roll-in showers (i.e. transfer showers or tubs) is 2%.  So altogether you will need 17 rooms with mobility features (6 of them with roll-in showers). 


In addition you will need 5% of the guest rooms with communication features, which is another 28 rooms.


The total number of accessible rooms will be 45.  10% of those rooms may have both mobility and communication features, but the other 90% must be separate rooms. 

In This Issue
DOJ Requirements
Section 224
Inspector's corner
What's next?
Quick Links

access logo




Follow me on Twitter


Find us on Facebook 


View my profile on LinkedIn



 up to receive

our E-news letter!


 book cover


Inspector's Corner

This is a shower in a hotel that was meant to be a roll in shower, but because of the built in bench, it is not accessible.




The 2010 Standards allow a bench at a roll in shower, but it must follow the figure below, and it must have a folding seat.


roll in


 What's next....


Remember that March 15, 2011 is when the new Standards became effective in the Federal level.  They will be mandatory on March 15, 2012. And each State will adopt it or not at their discretion.


TDLR posted a draft of the 2012 Texas Accessibility Standards.  It is open for public comment at their website.  

The US Access Board posted Proposed Accessibility Guidelines for Pedestrian Facilities in the Public Right-of-Way


If you want to learn more about the new Standards, The ADA Companion Guide has the 2004 Guidelines with commentary and explanations throughout.

Upcoming CEU opportunities:


August 12 METROCON11 "Understanding the 2010 Standards"


Online course by the AIA National : The ADA and Urban Regeneration (as presented in the 2011 National convention)


 If you have any questions about these or any other topics, please feel free to contact me anytime.  

Marcela Abadi Rhoads, RAS #240
Abadi Accessibility
214. 403.8714