Apply Now to be a National Council Delegate!
Participation in the democratic process happens at every level of the Girl Scout organization. Every three years National Council Delegates elect the National Board of Directors and consider proposals that will affect the future of the Girl Scout Movement. National Council Delegates gather input on national issues at the local level, participate actively at the national business sessions and share insights after the National Convention. Serving as a National Delegate is an opportunity to be involved in Girl Scouting at the broadest level.
The 52nd Convention of Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. will be held November 10 - 13, 2011 in Houston, Texas. Each council is eligible to send delegates to the convention, and the combined delegate body is referred to as the National Council. The number of delegates each council will send is based on membership as of September 30, 2010. GSHCC will be eligible to send approximately 10 voting delegates, as prescribed by the formula established by the Girl Scouts of USA. GSHCC will pay expenses for elected National Council Delegates to attend the convention.
The GSHCC Board Development Committee is searching for a highly qualified pool of candidates for a limited number of delegate positions. National Council Delegates are chosen by a vote of the Representative Assembly at GSHCC's Annual Meeting and will serve for three years - February 2011 to February 2014. Attached is a copy of the National Council Delegate Position Description. As a current member of the GSHCC Representative Assembly, you are encouraged to apply for one of these positions.
Not Just for Adults!
Girls who are 15 at the time of application are also eligible to serve as National Delegates, and GSHCC has historically made a point of including girls in our delegation. The Board Development Committee looks forward to receiving applications from both girls and adults.
How to Apply:
Email a letter and resume by September 30, 2010 to: email@example.com. The volunteer Board Development Committee will review applications and interview top candidates on November 16. A slate of national council delegates and alternates will be presented to the Representative Assembly for election at the GSHCC Annual Meeting on February 12, 2011.
In your letter, please address the following topics:
· Why are you interested in serving as a National Council Delegate?
· Have you ever served as a National Council Delegate?
· What positions have you held in Girl Scouting?
· After reviewing the National Council Delegate Position Description, what specific skills would you bring to the position?
· List other professional, educational or volunteer experiences that have prepared you to be a National Council Delegate.
· What is your experience in gathering input and evaluating a variety of viewpoints?
· What experience do you have communicating with groups and in public speaking?
· What has been your experience with parliamentary procedure?