|Back Room Wines' Owner Daniel Dawson sends weekly emails to his international list of happy, loyal, wine-thirsty customers.
Located in Downtown Napa, Napa Valley, Back Room Wines is a "Wine Insider,"tasting, buying and selling the best, tiny production, not-yet-famous wines from California. These email communiques are where you'll find the best of Wine Country, often before you read about them in the press.
Please take a moment to read through Back Room Wines' past emails. If you're not on the email list, sign up today!
- Two killer Cabs, each under $30/bottle (9/9/2010)
- Audelssa Cabernet, Sonoma Valley 2007
Obsidian Ridge, Red Hills of Lake County 2007
Two top-notch Cabs for different reasons
- Bodega Rancho Syrah "Que Syrah" 2007 (8/25/2010)
- Cool-climate Syrah from the Sonoma Coast. Who says we can't turn folks onto really good, authentic Syrah? Check it out!
- Cab Alert, INHERIT THE SHEEP 2006 (8/20/2010)
- First release from a tiny Coombsville vineyard. Napa Valley meets Bordeaux in this complex, intense Napa Cab.
- York Creek "MXB" Red Blend 2007 (8/17/2010)
- MXB = "Mixed Blacks," a Zinfandel based, spicy red blend. A dandy "Money Wine" this week.
- Cab Alert: LIPARITA 2007s (8/9/2010)
- Two from Liparita: Oakville and "V Block" from Yountville. Either is $53/bottle. Outstanding and great values for the quality.
- Big Vine Cabernet Napa Valley 2006 (8/4/2010)
- A $19 Cabernet that competes with the $50 bottles. Dynamite Money Wine for you to check out.
- Meet Joe Gilsdorf (7/29/2010)
- Back Room Wines welcomes wine merchant Joe Gilsdorf. Fine palate and a good guy.
- T-Vine "T Red" Napa Valley 2007 (7/21/2010)
- 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Petite Sirah blend. Killer red and a heckuva "Money Wine."
- Mueller Family Cabernet Sauvignon, Diamond Mountain 2007 (7/15/2010)
- Today's "Money Wine" is a 168 case production mountain Cabernet that ROCKS!
- Cab Alert: Pott "St Ralph The Liar" (7/12/2010)
- Our Cab Alert features rare, special, higher end Napa Cabs (and occasionally a non-Cab). This edition, we feature POTT Cabernet from Howell Mountain. It's so good.
- Phoenix Ranch Cinsault 2009 (7/8/2010)
- Check out this spicy, fruity, forward and downright delicious Southern France grape. This is 130+ year old, dry farmed, Lodi fruit. A steal at $17/bottle.
- Salvestrin "Retaggio" Napa Valley Red Blend (6/23/2010)
- I poured this for a small group the other day. Sangiovese based, with Cab, Merlot and Petite in there too. Delicious, great with food, and so easy to like. $26/bottle
- Joseph Kent "Gris-Gris" 2007 (6/16/2010)
- 100 cases made of this Bordeaux-style red blend, mostly Calistoga fruit. Great fruit, spice and layers of flavor. It's almost a BRW exclusive!
- Enkidu Pinot Noir and W. Hansel Sauv Blanc (6/8/2010)
- Two excellent and fine-value Sonoma wines featured. Enkidu Pinot Noir from Sonoma Coast is rich with restraint. The Hansel Sauvignon Blanc marries ripe juicy fruit with tingling acidity.
- REMRIDG Sauv Blanc and Maldonado Chard (6/3/2010)
- Memorial Day has passed, so summer has unofficially started. Time for white wine, and here are two delicious ones.
- Baby Cab and Fighting Cab (5/27/2010)
- Two delicious $30ish/bottle Cabs for you. Baby Blue from Alexander Valley is juicy, layered and gorgeous. Fisticuffs from Napa is dark, rich, chunky and full of oak.
- Red Blends Redux (5/18/2010)
- I re-feature three delicious local red blends that perhaps you've had before. Jules Melange, Brick Angel "Littlefoot" and Window Pane. They're in stock and tasting better than ever. Whatcha waiting for?
- School House "Mescolanza" (5/11/2010)
- This Spring Mountain, old vine, dry farmed, Zin based field blend reminds me of a really good Southern Rhone. That's a good thing.
- Green & Red Zinfandel "Chiles Mill" 2007 (5/5/2010)
- One of our favorite Napa Zins, every year. The 2007 really brings it home with richness, nice sweet oak and a classic, long, silky, fruity/spicy finish. Just $26.
- "Green" Bags and Red Blends (4/27/2010)
- Your first reusable, six bottle Back Room Wine carry bag is on us. Bring it back, fill it up, and make a charitable donation. THEN, we feature Odisea "Veritable Quandary" and Skylark "Las Aves," two fine, unique red blends.
- Scully and Stellareese Cabernets (4/21/2010)
- Here are two Napa Valley Cabs equally good for different reasons. The Scully, from Mt Veeder, is big and chewy. Stellareese is silky and fine. Both sell in the mid $30 range. Great deals both.
- Bedrock Syrah from Sonoma County (4/14/2010)
- A fantastic spicy red to cure your tax-relief blues.
- 16 x 20 Cabernet & Chardonnay (4/7/2010)
- First release Napa Cab & Sonoma Chardonnay. Paul Hobbs, Winemaker. Delicious wines with balance and personality.
- Bridesmaid White Wine for the Spring (3/24/2010)
- 95% Sauvignon Blanc, 5% Semillon from Napa Valley. Crisp, tingly and a joy to drink.
- Three Cabernets and One Chardonnay (3/17/2010)
- Check out WIND GAP Chardonnay and these three Napa Cabs: Fountainhead, Rockledge & Crauford. All SO GOOD!
- Brick Angel "Littlefoot" Beats the Iron Wine (3/10/2010)
- Iron Wine is Orin Swift "The Prisoner." "Littlefoot" was, by far, the favorite wine in our blind tasting competition.
- Astrale e Terra Merlot 2004 (3/4/2010)
- From the top of Atlas Peak comes this fruity, forward, complex, tiny production good value ($28) Merlot.
- Capiaux and Copain Pinot Noirs (2/24/2010)
- Two delicious new Pinot Noirs from well-respected producers have arrived in the shop this month. Check them out!
- Serious Napa Cab for not-so-serious price (2/17/2010)
- Hollis Cabernet Sauvignon 2007. At $36, an exceptional value "Cellar Cab" that deserves 5 years to blossom.
- Window Pane Red 2008 (2/9/2010)
- A new red blend from Kobalt Winery. Rich, strong, spicy...all we want from a big, delicious red! $34/bottle.
- Holus Bolus Syrah 2007, the Money Wine (2/2/2010)
- Humble Winemaking, Glorious Wine. Holus Bolus Syrah is outstanding, and only $27.
- Back Room Blow Out XXXV this Friday (1/26/2010)
- Our signature, walk-around tasting. What fun! And, Artadi Rioja "Vinas de Gain" 2006, $25.
- Back Room's Customer Survey (1/20/2010)
- Help me help you by answering 15 quick questions. Plus, Crauford Cabernet Sauvignon "Tattoo" Napa 2006, $30.
- Ancien Pinot Gris and Spotted Owl "Mountain Cuvee" (1/12/2010)
- Two "Money Wines" this week. A local white and red.
- Introducing the "Money Wine" (1/6/2010)
- A new feature in our weekly emails. A sure-thing wine at a really good value. First money wine is VOCES Petite Sirah, Napa Valley 2006, $28.
- Christmas Eve Social (12/21/2009)
- Come to Back Room Wines Christmas Eve Afternoon for good wine and a great time.
- Last Holiday Call (12/15/2009)
- 8 Shipping Days before Christmas! 4 of our favorite wines featured: Selene Sauv Blanc, L'Angevin Chardonnay, Vineyard 1869 Zin & Rockledge Cabernet.
- Holiday Gift Ideas (12/8/2009)
- Gift Ideas: Wine Club Membership, Gift Certificates and We'll-Pick-The-Wine service. Plus, T-VINE GRENACHE.
- Partial to Pinot Noir? (12/1/2009)
- Five Pinot Noirs (one a sparkling Brut Rose), perfect for December Drinking.
- Great Wine Deals (11/18/2009)
- Check out the website's "Great Wine Deals" page for fine wines at nice prices.
- Wines To Get You in the "H..." mood (11/10/2009)
- It's that time of year. Sort of. Here are four favorites for holiday dishes.
- How to Browse for Wines On-Line (11/5/2009)
- Learn how to browse the inventory on-line. It's a breeze. All our wines are smartly broken up by color, grape & region.
- Artisan California Red Blends (10/28/2009)
- Six that are sure to please, including new releases from Brick Angel, Banknote and Keplinger.
- Napa Cabernet Sauvignon (10/21/2009)
- A dozen outstanding Napa Cabs now in stock. Three categories: Earthy Spicy Fruity, Rich Fruity Luscious and "Lay Them Down."
- Beau Vigne Cabernet "Juliet" 2007 Is Awesome (10/6/2009)
- Beau Vigne "Juliet" Cab is so good, so delicious now, betcha I'm just the first extolling its virtues, and larger voices will be following soon.
- For Syrah Lovers Only (9/30/2009)
- I got six excellent, tiny-production California Syrahs for you in this email.
- Indian Summer Picnic Wines (9/23/2009)
- Three delicious picks, perfect for warm, fall al fresco drinking. Atrea "The Choir," Pali Pinot Noir "Riviera" and Ojai Syrah.
- Three Wines You Want (9/16/2009)
- Most of you want, anyway. Big, rich, ripe and YUMMY! T-Vine Grenache, Bedrock "Lorenzon's Heirloom" & McPrice Myers "Beautiful Earth."
- Killer Cab Drinking At Its Prime (9/9/2009)
- Meyer Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Napa 2005 $48/bottle. Here's my story: Rack of Lamb & this killer Cabernet!
- What's On Tap for the Fall (9/3/2009)
- Getting ready for a wave of great California wine releases. Getting ready for our Thursday Night Tasting Events.
- Three Big, Local Red Wines (8/26/2009)
- Each very delicious in very different ways. Check out a new Napa red blend, Sonoma Valley Cab and Mt. Veeder Bordeaux-Style Red.
- Wines to Pair with Summer Tomatoes (8/20/2009)
- We have three local wines to match (almost) perfectly with summer tomatoes. Crisp Sauv Blanc, exotic dry Pinot Gris and Napa Valley Zin.
- Keep An Eye On The Wine Shelf (8/12/2009)
- Six wines, always rotating, adorn the wine shelf at www.backroomwines.com. Current features include Paloma, Kosuge and Green & Red. Read about all six wines here.
- "Optimus" & "Tenacious" (8/5/2009)
- Two big, awesome California reds: L'Aventure "Optimus" and Celani Family "Tenacious." Read tasting notes and give them a try.
- Cure the Summertime Blues with Three Fine Wines (7/30/2009)
- Grant Family "Straight Line" Tempranillo, Herb Lamb Sauvignon Blanc "EII" and Craven & Latting Pinot Noir. Keep you happy!
- New Local & Tasty Wines (7/16/2009)
- Old Vine Colombard, Carneros Pinot Noir, Zinfandel from Chiles Valley, "Alder Springs" Cab Franc...6 beauties!
- All Star Wines (7/8/2009)
- Six most popular Cal wines of 2009 (so far). Tallulah, Erna Schein, JRE Cab, Orin Swift, Ramian and Jules Melange.
- Wines From Afar For Fellow Napans (7/1/2009)
- Check out these great values international wines. Perfect for Back Room's Napa customers.
- Napa Cabs $30 and Under (6/23/2009)
- Five delicious Napa Cabs at great prices. One Sonoma Red Blend included 'cuz it's SO GOOD.
- Six Pinots, Six California Regions (6/16/2009)
- We feature Anthill Farms, Relic, Sojourn, ROAR, Capiaux and Tyler Pinots.
- New Whites from Europe (6/11/2009)
- We tempt you with six whites from Italy and Austria. So good!
- This Week's Five New Favorites (6/4/2009)
- New wines from Tyler, Gamba, Liparita and Cavus.
- What Sixty Bucks Will Buy You (5/27/2009)
- 5 bottles of Zin, 4 Chardonnays, 3 Syrahs, 2 Cabs or a special Pinot or Syrah. Take your pick for $60.
- Memorable Wines for Memorial Day (5/19/2009)
- Here are six fine-value California wines, red & white, for the three day weekend.
- Four Favorite BBQ Reds (5/14/2009)
- We take you to the Rhone Valley & Southern France for these perfect reds for the grill.
- Three Latest Favorite Napa Reds (5/5/2009)
- Check out Relic "Ritual," Clark Claudon & Hoopes Cabernets
- Alfresco Wines (4/22/2009)
- Three reds and an '08 Pink wine for outdoor sippin'. Napa Valley & France included.
- Red Blends You Can Count On (4/14/2009)
- Here are six big, rich red blends from Napa & Sonoma. Great values!
- New vintages of some Back Room favorites (4/1/2009)
- Notes on new wines from T-Vine, Buccella, Drinkward Peschon, Castalia and more.
- Inspired California Wines (3/26/2009)
- Pretty amazing wines from Courier, Anthill Farms and Big Table Farms.
- California Wine Values (3/19/2009)
- Bank for the buck wines from Tallulah, Fortitude, Phoenix Ranch, Twenty Rows and Foxglove.
- Stellar Pinot Noirs (3/11/2009)
- North Coast, tiny production Pinots from Breggo, Lioco, Coho and B. Kosuge.
- F Is For Flavor (3/4/2009)
- Lots of "F" for you with Orin Swift "Papillon," Humanitas Pinot, Priest Ranch Cab & "Aviator"
- Special Cal Reds For Very Nice Prices (2/25/2009)
- Here are four exceptional wines worth much more than their relatively modest price.
- Cabernet Time (2/11/2009)
- Here are six of our latest, favorite Cabernet Sauvignons from Napa & Sonoma
- Spicy & Robust California Reds (2/4/2009)
- We recommend Rusina Petite Sirah, Paras Grenache and more. Read our wine notes.
- Four Fun, Fruity Reds (1/28/2009)
- Vino d'Angelo Zin, Piocho and Atrea Old Soul Red, Layer Cake Primitivo. Spot on tasty!
- Delicious Napa reds from $19 to $99 (1/21/2009)
- From Twenty Rows Merlot to Beau Vigne Reserve Cabernet. And four dandies in between.
- Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Red Blends (1/13/2009)
- Check out our notes on Leviathan Red, Chappellet "Mountain Cuvee" and more.
- Perfect Winter Wines (1/7/2009)
- Keep the home fires a-burnin' with rich reds & whites from Caliban, Erna Schein, Sbragia & Zmor
Back Room Wines
First & Main Streets, Downtown Napa
(707) 226-1378 TOLL FREE: 877-322-2576