Wheelchair Safety for an Active Lifestyle
Wheelchair safety is an important topic - proper use and maintenance will help you to stay safe and avoid injury.
It is important to always maintain your center-of-gravity. Use a positioning belt if there is one available with your mobility chair. For wheelchair safety, practice completing reaching actions in someone's presence prior to attempting them on your own. When you reach, lean, or bend forward, always use the wheel locks or brakes and maintain a firm, balanced seat position. Never reach between your knees or move forward in your seat to pick up an object.
Prior to attempting to ride on ramps, inclines, or declines, determine your capabilities by first practicing with an attendant. Never attempt to go up a steep slope alone. Before traversing a pathway, road or sidewalk, look for uneven surfaces, spills, holes or obstacles before proceeding.
Don't attempt to go up a curb or tip your wheelchair without the assistance of an attendant. It is always safer to find your way around a curb rather than go up it. Look for a nearby ramp, curb cut, or elevator.
Our Drivers are trained in the proper transportation of individuals in wheelchairs and other mobility assist devices. If you have any questions or concerns, be sure to ask your driver - or call us at 602 371 1000.
Would You Pass the U.S. Citizenship Test?
Here are a few sample questions from the U.S. citizenship test. How many can you answer?
- Who elects Congress?
- How many senators are there in Congress?
- Can you name the two senators from your state?
- For how long do we elect each senator?
- How many representatives are there in Congress?
- For how long do we elect the representatives?
- What is the executive branch of our government?
- What is the judiciary branch of our government?
- What are the duties of the Supreme Court?
- What is the supreme law of the United States?
- What is the Bill of Rights?
- What is the capital of your state?
- Who is the current governor of your state?
- Who becomes President of the United States if the President and the Vice-President should die?
- Who is the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?