Site of the Ascension
Chapel of the Ascension, Mount of Olives, Jerusalem

Resurrection Lutheran Church

Website News

6170 Plank Road

Fredericksburg, Virginia

(540) 786-7778

 www.ResurrectionPeople.org   May 17th A.D. 2012

In This Issue
Witness and Service
Malaria Campaign
VBS
Shepherding
Brisben Camp Sponsor
Quick Links

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

View our profile on LinkedIn
Dear Friends in Christ!
Yes, we are still in the season on Easter!

Thursday May 17th is the Feast of the Ascension marking 40 days after the Resurrection of our Lord.  Read Acts 1:3-12. Also Luke 24:49-53.  A summary of Pastor Dave Delaney's Bible Study for this week...

This day has been regarded as a major festival in the church at least by the early fourth century and perhaps earlier - in other words, even before Christmas became a major festival. Ascension, along with this entire set of days between Sixth Easter and Pentecost, has always been the perfect opportunity to celebrate the fulfillment of this astonishing set of promises delivered by Jesus in John 12-14, that all people will be drawn to him and that his Father will send their mutual Spirit upon all flesh. It is Ascension and Pentecost that - more than Easter, really - represent the stunning conclusion to the entire aim of the Incarnation of Christ and of the whole Christian story: the redemption of the whole world under God's grace-centered sovereignty.

Almighty God, your blessed son, our Savior Jesus Christ, ascended far above all heavens that he might fill all things. Mercifully give us faith to trust that, as he promised, he abides with us on earth to the end of time, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.
Bearing Witness and Service

At worship on Sunday May 20th, we will encourage all our parishioners to bring the altar their tithes, offerings, and their plans for bearing intentional witness and service as part of our Resurrection family this coming year.  Witness and Service forms were provided at worship on April 29th, with an invitation to prayerfully discern your call for witness and service this coming year.  We hope you've been praying about what it is you will do to contribute to our life together.  If you do not have a form, you can download it and print it off from our website.  Just click on Witness and Service 2012, fill it out, and bring it with you to worship.

ELCA Malaria Campaign

Malaria

ELCA Malaria Campaign:

Preventable. Treatable. Now.

Just one bite from an infected mosquito is all it takes for a person to contract malaria. What begins as flu-like symptoms can quickly lead to death. In fact, malaria is a leading cause of death in Africa. Almost 9 out of 10 of the 800,000 people who die from malaria each year live in  Africa, and most (85 percent) are children under five years of age. The goal of the ELCA Malaria Campaign is ambitious--raising $15 million by 2015 to make malaria history. But with your help, it can be done.

Just $10 provides an insecticide-treated mosquito net; $50 provides medicine for 25 people; $100 can train a village health team.  Please stop by the Malaria Campaign table this Sunday to make a contribution. For every $10 donation, a mosquito will be pinned to the wall. You might want to consider buying a net for each member of your family. Please make checks payable to Resurrection Lutheran Church, and write MALARIA on the memo line.  You can also donate on-line through RLC by specifying "MALARIA" in the Other category.

 Watch the ELCA Malaria Campaign Video

Vacation Bible School!
Vacation Bible School...is Going to be WET and WILD!!!

July 9 - 13 / 'SPLASH'...in God's Word

Mark your calendars for what promises to be great fun for the kids! (Age 2 - Grade 5)
The theme...'SPLASH' in God's Word...immerses kids in scripture through faith-filled games, science activities, crafts, music, and more! This summer, share stories that spark faith!

 'SPLASH' will focus on five terrific Bible stories:
Noah's Ark...Jonah and the BIG FISH...Walking on Water...Woman at the Well...Lydia

It's time to get organized...and the following positions are in need of volunteers:
Co-Director of Vacation Bible School (Melissa Doyle is looking for a partner!)
Teachers for: PreK & K...Grade 1...Grade 2...Grades 3 & 4...Grade 5
We have Leaders for: Games...Crafts...Science Activities...Music
(Co-Leaders would be great!)

Now we are looking for lots and lots of awesome volunteers!

To sign up...contact Christian Ed Chairs: Nancy Evans (582-5943) and Terri Kuckuck (786-8150)

Shepherding
sheep
Shepherding Ministry at Resurrection Lutheran Church
Our congregation is growing once again...and in that vein, the need for on-going contact and support for all of our RLC families has become self-evident. New life has been breathed into our Shepherding Ministry resulting in our congregation being divided currently into twelve flocks. Each flock is made up of 10 - 12 families who then come under the loving care of one or two Shepherds who have been identified by the Pastors. Pastor Carol will be serving as Shepherd to the Shepherds.

Brisben Center Appeal