In 2008, we had 3 serious injuries on Trail bridges --- paralysis, broken pelvis, and broken tibia. Friends of the Little Miami State Park (FLMSP) was founded in November 2008 on the principle that trail safety was its primary objective.
Towards that end, in June of this year, with the help of Ohio State Parks, FLMSP paved 11 of the 15 bridges and replanked the other 4 bridges.
It's my pleasure to report that we can all take satisfaction in the fact that we've had no serious "bridge" accidents this year reported either to Ohio State Parks or Friends of the Little Miami State Park.
It's also my pleasure to report that the streambank restoration at Corwin has been completed --- this is the area of the trail where the river had eroded the streambank and was within 2-3 feet of trail.
So what's for next year? Depending on budget:
1. Trail Safety. Finish the job:
- Pave the remaining 4 bridges
- Remediate the 29 asphalt patches south of Morrow using infrared technology.
2. Trail Integrity. Do a complete inventory of the Trail identifying:
- Sink holes --- typically caused by a collapsing culvert.
- Significant root damage to the Trail. Use a rocksaw to cut the roots along side the Trail and, where economically feasible, use infrared technology to remediate the asphalt.
- Root encroachment --- minimal root damage to the Trail. Use a rocksaw to cut the roots along side the Trail.
Our heart-felt thanks to all of you who support and promote our cause.
Little Miami State Park