|Medicare and Medi-Cal EHR Incentive - Helpful Pointers|
|We have outlined a brief summary of the most important points about the EHR Incentive program under Medicare and Medi-Cal. In this article, we have also included some of the relevant links in reference to the incentive program.|
Already purchased a certified program, CLICK HERE to find what you should do next
Eligible Professionals (EP):
The following are considered Eligible Professionals who are qualified for the incentive programs:
- Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathy
- Doctor of Oral Surgery or Dental Medicine
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine
- Doctor of Optometry
- Nurse practitioners
- Certified nurse midwives
- Physician assistants who are working in a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) or Rural Health Clinic (RHC)
Use the link to the flow chart to help you determine your eligibility for the EHR incentive.
Note: If applying under the Medi-Cal incentive program, remember to add your capitated patients in your calculations to determine your total patient volume.
Certified EHR Systems:
To determine if your EHR is certified, go to the vendor list and search for the vendor.
If you are an Eligible Professional and purchased a certified EHR system, then you should register at the following links:
- Federal EHR program - Medicare
- Medi-Cal EHR program - Medi-Cal (Available in April 2011)
Note: For your Medi-Cal incentive, you should first register with Medicare and then Medi-Cal.
For the Medicare incentive, Eligible Professionals (EP) are expected to demonstrate meaningful use by submitting reports on a set of administrative and clinical objectives. During the first year of meaningful use, the submission of reports can be done by attestation; but in subsequent years must be submitted electronically from the EHR.
"Meaningful use" is defined as the use of certified EHR technology to:
- Improve quality, safety, efficiency and reduce health disparities
- Engage patients and families in their health care
- Improve care coordination
- Improve population and public health
- All the while maintaining privacy and security
Although Meaningful Use is not how EPs could qualify for the Medi-Cal incentive, all EHR systems should have these as part of their system. Therefore, this is a good measure to select an appropriate EHR system.
Watch Dr. Martin's rap on "Meaningful Yoose" below:
|Watch Dr. Martin's Rap on |
The Meaningful Yoose