Connecting with the Sacred in Animals, Nature and You
 October 25, 2010
Billie Dean's Animal Whispers
Honey eating hay

 Greetings!

Melbourne rocks!! The Animal Shamanism Level I class was well attended and the students were stupendous!  Despite one minor problem of an urban fire ceremony (neighbours) we had a lovely evening with Healer's Rites being gifted by myself and two other Four Winds Full Mesa Carriers, Julie and Penni.  Thank you so much to you both!

A mesa is an altar and also the  shaman's primary healing tool.  They can be special shrines of power, or the colourfully wrapped bundle of the Q'ero nation. It is this Andean tradition that is passed down through the Four Winds Society to their students, whereby we work around the medicine wheel with stones to heal ourselves,  thereby transforming them into kuya or medicine stones, which then form a medicine bundle used in healing.

There is a lot of teaching involved in the deep understanding of the mesa, but today all I can say is  for me it was a joy to be standing with two other full mesa carriers, because I know the work and the journey they went through to become who they are today and who they are evolving into tomorrow.

While this in not part of my own teaching, in Animal Shamanism we do work with stones because the stone people have always been part of my own personal journey and heritage.  I used to apologise to the stones I tripped over when I was a young child of eight, knowing iintuitively that they had consciousness.  And so they do.

Other traditions have medicine bundles they wear around their neck, or sacred amulets or talismans.

But stones for me have always held a mystery and a wisdom and like many people on the mystery path, my home is filled with stone altars -- piles of stones who have called me to take them inside or hold the energy somewhere.  It's up to you to find your own path and what feels right to you when thinking of healing.  I tend to call in the spirit helpers and move out of the way as much as possible.  I do however love my mesa and my mesa dog Thunder (a "stuffed soft toy"), and tend to lug them around with me wherever I go.

For me, stones are the element of Earth, ancient keepers of wisdom with many stories to tell.  And this comes from my own experience as much as my training with the Four Winds Society and The Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids.

The nature-honouring traditions know that the world is alive and  animate, and that everything has a voice - from animals to the tiniest blade of grass.  And because the illusion we have dreamt ourselves in is one of environmental dire straits, adopting a more nature-honouring path isnt a bad idea.  How about understanding that we need to bring back more reverence and respect to every levell of existence.

And speaking of stones, I am thrilled to find the Ballyoncree stones returning.  Many students from all over Australia are sending them home!  And delighted they are to be here.  One much travelled stone, insisted on going back to a part of the property where he came from.  I didnt know where that was and let him guide me to the front paddock where he happily joined his "tribe".  Perth students who had visited here in the days when it was okay to take Ballyoncree stones, gave me a pile of them when I was over there last, and these stones asked to be taken to the creek and left there.  The stones know what they want!

Apparently this phenomenon of all the stones not wanting to leave happened when I had an experience of "becoming One" with the Earth Mother here.  I thought it was a simple iniitiation, but it turns out to hold far more signiificance for me and Ballyoncree, and I look forward to sharing that with you in a future writing.

You may recall from my last newsletter that  Animal Shamanism Level II is coming up this weekend in Braidwood and it is going to be amazing. If you have done any entry level work with me, and want to go deeper, this is the perfect opportunity. And if you want to work with animals and/or become a Rainbow Fianna accredited Professional Animal Communicator, then this course is a must.  Details below and here.

Repeat students get a discount because I keep updating the information and you might find some pearls to take away that will deepen your relationship with animals, nature and yourself. If you would like to repeat, contact Andrew.

Also I must mention that it is once again Spring -- and the best Spring we have seen in a decade here.  Sadly this means that many horses could lose their lives to founder -- so please take care.  We manage our laminitis-prone, ponies letting them out for short intervals during the day, keeping them in large yards so they can wander around.  It IS a fair bit of management but we havent lost one yet and I am always appalled when the farrier tells me all the horror stories.  The other thing we have here is unimproved paddocks, making it safer.  I have never known the wild horses to founder, but as they are pony size, I keep them on the unimproved pasture as well.

With lots of love, light and laughter to you,
Billie
In This Issue
Animal Shamanism Level II
Secret Animal Business on Amazon and others
News, Bits and Pieces And Compassionate Action to Take II
Gratitudes and Wish List
Changes are Coming
Quick Links
This Sacred Earth on Twitter
Facebook Links

Contact Us
PO Box 61
Braidwood, NSW 2622 Australia
info@billiedean.com
Subscribe to Our Newsletter!

This is a free newsletter but donations support the work within and are ALWAYS gratefully appreciated.
level_iiAnimal Shamanism Level II, Braidwood, October 29-31
Billie Dean Teaching
It is always a treat to bring people to Braidwood, and to delve deeper into the mysteries.  I do hope you can join us for Animal Shamanism Level II, as it will be an intimate group with lots of practical work, including time with the always special animals here at Ballyoncree.

This course will include Seeing, Frequency, Death and Destiny, It will include journeying to the Otherworld, learning Death Rites to assist animals in the dying process, and working with the dogs, horses and fae here. We will also have some Munay Ki transmissions and a special animal blessing on Sunday.  As we are celebrating Beltane ( sorry but Halloween is in the Northern Hemisphere), the veils will be thinner than normal and we will get to do some work with that.  Beltane was traditionally a spring fertility festival with many "seeds" being sown.  As it is a time for love, we will be taking that idea in a different direction, sowing the seeds for a wonderful future for animals.

By the end of the weekend, you will have a better connection to your intuition, a deeper ability to tap into the spiritual and psychic lives of animals and all of nature, practical tools that will help you keep your vibration up even when the world around you is sunk in the mire (this is a new, and I think crucial part of my teaching), learn skills to help you See the unseen, and very important skills to help you work with animals who are crossing over.

You will need to have done a Secret Animal Business Level I with me online or in person, or some similar introductory work (if you are not sure if the course is right for you, email Andrew).  This course  is the second in the Elemental Wheel.

Note: For details on Billie's school Rainbow Fianna and the path with animals, professional or otherwise, please also email Andrew.

This is a vital course for anyone wanting to work with animals.

There is more, including a participant's information sheet, on my web site.  See you here in Braidwood!
Secret Animal Business
Secret Animal Business coverI know some of you took up my suggestion of getting Secret Animal Business from Amazon.com  Barns & Noble, or The Book Depository.  Thanks for letting me know that it worked for you.

I will mention again that if you have read the book and have an account with one of those sites, perhaps you could do me the kindness of leaving a review and/or rating the book.  Letting others know you enjoyed it helps them make a decision that is right for them.  So thanks for that.

Lets get the news out there so Secret Animal Business can change the world for animals.
News, Bits and Pieces And Compassionate Action to Take
Further to my discussion last issue about euthanasia, here's a dog who was killed by the deadly needle, and came back to life.  This is a dog with a strong life force. And it does raise a lot of issues and adds to my growing teaching and writing about euthanasia. The dog may have a spinal condition but obviously wanted to live. Now the family is working with a second vet to give her the second chance she so desperately wants. My belief is that vets in general are too quick to euthanise, killing animals before their time and impeding their soul journey, when perhaps there are other solutions to health. Here's the news story where they find the dog alive hours later.  Thanks to Kath for sending it along.

Want to lend your support to helping kangaroos?  There are a couple of petitions at change.org aimed at banning roo meat and products in Europe and Scotland.  It worked for seals, so it can work for kangaroos.

Here's another petition especially for our EO readers "to prevent thousands of 'safe' natural products (i.e. foods, herbs, vitamins, minerals, supplements & indigenous remedies) from being banned by 2011".

If you are into Ascension like I am, you'll want to check out 12 Stages of Light Body Ascension on the Indigo Healing web site.  It's an article by Meritaten RahaNamsai.

And here's a lovely one from the IFAW newsletter: "For 58 year-old Jinda Mai, her buffalo is a companion she simply couldn't leave behind. In this story, she expresses for her buffalo what many of us feel for our animal companions: "My buffalo is not a simple animal, she is my whole world."

This came across my desk forwarded from beloved author and Braidwood personality Jackie French:

*****

A Desperate Message from Jackie French

Please help us, the wombats, and the valley. There is only one week left to try to save them.

Two weeks ago we were finally given copies of the Environmental Assessment into the proposed Dargues Reef Goldmine at Majors Creek, four kilometres directly upstream from our property and even closer to the Nature Reserve and National Park partially surrounding us. The details revealed in it had not previously been made public.

The Dargues Reef Mine proposes to remove 66.2 megalitres of water per year from the local water table, leading to a drop in ground water levels of between 1.5 and 10.5 metres. This is an extraordinary and devastating amount.

Plants take their moisture from groundwater. Without it, they die.

Animals drink from springs, fed by groundwater. Without it, they die.

The result of taking this amount of water from an ecosystem will mean that it, too, will die.

No studies have been done for the Environmental Assessment on how taking this amount of water will affect the land beyond the actual mine site. There is no mention of the endangered, critically endangered and threatened species in the gorge below the mine, ranging from the Powerful Owl to the critically endangered eucalyptus Kartzoffina.

The mine proposal also includes a 25 metre high tailings dam to just four kilometres above us and the gorge, covering nine hectares. It will contain a toxic sludge that, if the walls break, will sweep everything before it, from our house to every plant and creature in the valley. 'World's best practice' is to have a secondary wall in case the first fails. This is not the case at the proposed Dargues Reef mine.

If this mine goes ahead the animals and plants of the valley may die.  The wombat of Diary of a Wombat may die. As for myself- if the bush where I have lived and loved and walked for over 30 years dies around me, then what would be left would not be the Jackie French who had walked and studied and loved the bush community for more than 30 years.

If you have loved Diary of a Wombat; if you want to save the life and environment of the real wombat on whom the story is based; if my writing has moved you in any way and if you feel the need to preserve endangered species, or an area of such rich and varied habitat please email your opposition to the mine by close of business this Friday.

I have walked this land for over 30 years. I have drawn the inspiration for my work from the bush around me. To say I love it is inadequate. I am part of it; without it, the person I am will cease to be.
But I have choices. I can leave if the water turns toxic, if the sludge descends. I can buy water and have it tanked in. The wombats, the wallabies, the Powerful Owls- already isolated by surrounding human farms and settlement and starting to be affected by the environmental impacts of climate change - have no such choice. I owe this place too much not to at least try to defend it and its inhabitants now.

If you love wombats, the bush, or justice; if you believe that animals have a right to survival despite the benefits to humans from mining gold; if you think that long term investment in the bush, growing peaches or writing books is more valuable than a short term mining gain, spend just five minutes today emailing your objection to the Dargues Reef Mine.

The Dargue's Reef Environmental Assessement can be read at www.planning.nsw.gov.au by following the prompts. If you would like further details about the critically endangered species and grasslands, or the removal of the groundwater, please contact me at jfrench@dragnet.com.au

Please- can you help? Or do you know anyone else who can help?

Any submission will help save the valley, and it's critically endangered species.

If you have a spare five minutes, please send your own submission. Please ask your friends to put in submissions too, by the end of this week.

Submissions should include:
  • Your name and address
  • The reference number 10 0054
  • Whether you support or object to the mine proposal
  • The reasons why you support or object to the mine proposal

Submissions much reach the Department of Planning by close of business    November 1, 2010
Fax: 9228 6466
Or
Emailed to: plan_ comment@planning.nsw.gov.au

Possible Submission

Email to: plan_ comment@planning.nsw.gov.au
Name:
Address:
Reference number 10 0054

I object to the proposed Dargues Reef mining project on the grounds that no assessment has been made of the impact on the loss of groundwater beyond the two square kilometer radius of the mine, nor on the fragile and threatened ecosystems below the mine.
I request more time for these and other questions raised by the Environmental Assessment to be investigated, including test bores 2-6 kilometres downstream from the mine site, to test the impact of drilling on the groundwater over a period of a year, to allow for variation in rainfall.
I also request that a detailed assessment be made of endangered, critically endangered and threatened flora and fauna in the four kilometres below the mine site. This also needs a year for completion, as some species are migratory, and others, such as the endangered powerful owl, can only be easily identified in late winter when they are calling.
I also request that a detailed assessment be made of heritage and Indigenous sites 2-6 kimometres down stream from the proposed mone site and the tailings dam.

Submissions must reach the Department of Planning by close of business November 1, 2010.
Fax: 9228 6466; or email: plan_ comment@planning.nsw.gov.au

*****

On a somewhat depressing note, I just got this email from the government saying they have approved trapping and killing brushtail possums in Tasmania:

From: wta <wta@environment.gov.au>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:30:43 +1100
To: <undisclosed-recipients:;>
Subject: Management Plan for the Commercial Harvest and Export of Brushtail Possums in Tasmania 2010-2015 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:  Finalisation of Management Plan for the Commercial Harvest and Export of Brushtail Possums in Tasmania 2010-2015

Thank you for your submission on the draft Management Plan for the Commercial Harvest and Export of Brushtail Possums in Tasmania 2010-2015 which was available for public comment between 19 March and 23 April 2010.  This email is to advise you of the outcome of the assessment of the Management Plan.

Following receipt of submissions received during the public comment period, the Tasmanian Government submitted an amended management plan to the Department  of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities for a full assessment against the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 to ensure that it met the requirements under the Act including, but not limited to, ecological sustainability, minimising environmental impacts and compliance with animal welfare regulations.

On 15 October 2010, after considering the department's assessment, the Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, the Hon Tony Burke MP, conditionally approved the plan, exclusive of the component allowing trapping and live transport of animals to abattoirs for slaughter. The minister also placed a number of other conditions on his approval including the requirement to develop a code of practice for the shooting of common brushtail possums and to report annually on the management plan. The plan will be valid from the date of gazettal until 30 June 2015.

The  minister's approval will be published in the Government Gazette Notices on Wednesday 27 October 2010 with the approved plan and gazetted declaration to be published on the department's website soon after.

Thank you for your interest in this matter.

Wildlife Trade Assessments Section

Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787, CANBERRA ACT 2601

Gratitudes and Wishlist

Some quick thank-you's.  Thanks to Kathy Sawicki for your donation of $25.   We are so incredibly grateful!!  With hay at $20 a bale, this will lovingly feed the goats, sheep and alpacas for a week. Thanks also to regular supporter Gypsy Wulff for fly masks (we are seeing the first flies, of course, so the timing is perfect).  Montana, and some of the other mature horses especially, really thank you!
And of course, thank you as always to our regular supporters, including Mark Wulff, Zoe Howlette, Fonika Booth, Jeanette Chippendale, and our patron Skye Byrne.  Many thanks to all of you!

Special thanks to Rosi Pletzer of Vitality Health for her help with animal healing.  There are two Vitality Health Clinics in Canberra and both are worth a visit.

And thanks as always to Bec (Elementals Equine Therapies) for the coming birthday gift of farmsitting so we could have time away.  When Bec offered this I was s incredibly grateful to the point of tears.   Its not often our family gets a break together these days.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  You are all wonderful.

Wish List Extras

We always need herbal supplements and financial help with the horse feed bill ( Daniel Walker ) and farrier and horse dentist. We always need horse herbs and supplements like rosehips, kelp, garlic, applecider vinegar, and supplements from Elementals Equine Therapies and the Naturalcare Company, who has a great honey wound spray (hint, hint!). We also need Pet Power's homoepathic worming and heart worm treatments.

We could also do with another round of essential oils from Young Living which I use all the time -- Lemon, Orange, Frankinsence and Lemongrass and Di Gize.  Di Gize was the oil I used internally and in quite large amounts when our senior pony Bindi had problems with his gut over winter.  I gave it to him three times a day before meals  and it helped him enormously.  Their number is 07 3715 7333 and my member number is: 770852.  And if you need to join up, please email me.  Anybody who does join up under me to get these wonderful oils for themselves or Ballyoncree really helps my ability to continue working with oils for the animals of Ballyoncree.

All support gratefully received, and the animals say thank you, thank you, thank you.  And so do we.
Did We Mention that Changes Are Coming?

Andrew continues to work away in the background setting up changes to the web site, email list, newsletters -- you name it, he seems to be changing it.  So just know that good things are coming, and I will give you more details about them as they get closer.

Billie Dean with Gypsy

Until next time!

Warm blessings,
Billie