Have you ever heard of anyone winning the lottery without buying a ticket?
Have you ever seen a plumber, carpenter, electrician or cobbler without any tools?
Would life be different today if you had invested $30/month in Google 10 years ago?
These questions came to mind when I was speaking with a tutor this week about why he has had trouble attracting students. After I suggested he complete his profile and upgrade his membership, his response was "Oh, I thought my profile was complete! I haven't gotten any students since I joined over a year ago. Why would I pay for membership? I need to have some students to see if it works. I need some proof."
This tutor had not updated his availability nor explained his fee range nor posted his resume and testimonials. Unfortunately, he didn't appear to understand why people weren't requesting him even though he had tutoring experience and prior success.
Here's what we think this tutor was indirectly telling us...
- I haven't viewed my own profile recently.
- I don't understand why I haven't been more successful.
- It's not my fault. It's not my responsibility that I haven't attracted students.
- Can you help me find students for free? I want something for nothing.
- Why should I invest in Tutoring Match when it hasn't given me anything in return?
- Tutoring Match doesn't work.
After I got off the phone with the tutor, I asked my staff the following questions:
- If a tutor expects parents to invest in his/her services, why would a tutor hestitate to invest in himself or herself?
- If a tutor won't even invest in Tutoring Match, which is really an investment in himself, how much energy and effort should we invest in that tutor?
- Why would Tutoring Match keep investing in itself, if it didn't work? Have you seen our new website?
- If something isn't working, why do some smart people continue down the same path over and over again expecting different results? Isn't that the definition of insanity?
Tutoring Match is all about creating partnerships with tutors to help them be more successful. While we have made a strong statement that we are investing in ourselves to supply the tools and services tutors need, we help those tutors who are willing to invest in themselves.
Ways you can invest in yourself:
TUTORING MATCH WORKS WITH TUTORS.
TUTORS DON'T WORK FOR TUTORING MATCH; THEY WORK FOR THEMSELVES.
WE MATCH TUTORS WITH STUDENTS.
WE MATCH OUR EFFORTS TO EACH TUTOR'S INVESTMENT.
Haven't we all heard, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." or "You can't get anywhere unless you're willing to take a risk."or "If everything is ventured, and still nothing gained, give up and venture elsewhere."?
Hope you found this helpful...and your Labor Day weekend was restful.